Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Leupold Quick Release Base

Old 10-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Leupold Quick Release Base

I just bought an encore 50cal and want to get other barrels for it. I thought maybe I would get the Leupold Quick Release Bases and just switch the scope from one to another barrel.. I could use a bore sighter to mark each one. Does this sound right or not?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Leupold Quick Release Base

I would always test fire it when switching a sope from one gun to another. A bore sighter will get you in the ball park but very rarely get you dead on the money so the only sure way is to shoot the gun. There are way too many variables to take a chance with just a bore sighter.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:45 AM

But once the gun is sighted in and then you mark that sight in with the bore sight then it should be on, Right?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

It should be but I don' t trust it. I talked to a friend of mine today that has the quick release set up. Although he has not switched the scope from one gun to another he has taken it off of the gun it was mounted on to clean it and then put it back on. He did say that it held it' s zero well. I still would not trust switching it from one gun to another without test firing it. Who knows, it may work. Best thing I can tell you is to give it a try and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pinesap...look at talley detachable rings if this concerns you...they are well worth the price and have incredible repeatability. www.talleyrings.com
Old 10-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Pinesap, I recently purchased an Encore and a Leupold Quick Release Base. I sighted in the scope and later removed it when I cleaned the gun. The next time I fired the gun it was still on zero. My one experience has been ok. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 PM

Right guys, but you' re talking about removing the scope from one gun, then returning it to the same gun. Pinesap is talking about bouncing it around from one gun to another. I don' t think that will hold any consistency among different guns.

I have the Leupold quick release mount on my Encore. I' d expect it to hold pretty close to zero if I remove the sight for cleaning, etc. and then put it back on my Encore. However, I' d never expect that scope to stay zeroed in if I moved it to a varmit barrel. The quick release base wasn' t designed to enable somebody to do that.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:33 PM

I agree with Jimbo. The system is' nt designed to " bounce scopes" between guns with. It is a simple way of either removing the scope for travel, cleaning or whenever iron sights are desired or required. I have used nothing but Warne detachable mounts (they make the QRW rings for Leupold) on my Knight muzzleloader since I bought it nearly 10 years ago. It gets removed after each target session or a weekends hunt for cleaning and it has NEVER lost zero. Even when dropped on a large rock on a NM elk hunt a few years ago (the VX II took a beating but held zero as well).

The dual pin " quick release" system like pine is talking about is even less of a " continually removable" setup as compared to the QRW system. Pine you actually have to lock them down with pliars to force the cam to lock down over the pin in the ring itself. That would eventually start wearing it out if you constantly took it on and off.

Good luck,
RA