Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Looking for a Good Red LED Flashlight >

Looking for a Good Red LED Flashlight

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for a Good Red LED Flashlight

Old 10-06-2003, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Looking for a Good Red LED Flashlight

you want LED because it lasts MUCH longer on batters than a halogen or Krypton bulb.. you can get 10 times the length out of a LED that you can a Halogen or Krypton. It is true that the Halogen or Krypton are much brighter.. thats why I bought the head lamp with the three options.. I can use the Red for in and out of the woods without spooking.. the white led for finding difficult objects without using my bright Krypton bulb.. the Krypton bulb I use for recovering deer.. I also have a large rechargeable Mag light for recovering deer.. it has like a 10000 candle power (VERY BRIGHT) for sticky situations
Old 10-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a stupid question... why is a blue light bad?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:24 AM
Spike

From what I have read, deer can see the low (or is is high) end of the light spectrum which would be the blue/ultra-violet levels.

If someone knows better or if I am incorrect please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 02:08 PM

i think your right fish.. its one or the other and red is on one end and blue/violet on the other
Old 10-13-2003, 11:50 PM

I bought a little headlamp made by Energizer at Wally World for $12. Kind of a rip-off of the Petzal Tikka, for half the price. Has one red LED and two white LEDs, and runs on 3 AAA' s.
As for brightness its minimal with the single red LED. Its ok for digging through your pack or climbing your tree, but I wouldnt want to try to find my way out of Yellowstone with it. I would say the range is about 15 feet outdoors, and thats being generous.
With the two white LED' s its not half bad, maybe 25-30 feet, but you still have that bluish white color which I dislike. Still, a handy little light for the money.

I am looking at buying a SureFire E2E Outdoorsman. Has a 2 1/2 hour run time, a long pocket clip that you can clip to the bill of your hat, and they have red and blue filters for it. Kind of pricy at $75, but they are top-notch lights. I am a deputy sheriff (hence the screen name) and alot of the boys at work carry the surefire lights. They are built exceptionaly well and very bright.

Anyway, my question is, the blue light lens is advertised as helping you to see blood trails, by making the blood more apparent. Anybody had any experience with blue lights and blood?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:48 PM

I found the perfect light for me I got it in green and only $17. http://streamlight.com/clipmate_info.htm
Old 10-19-2003, 08:00 AM

Can you get Colored lens' for Mag Lites? I have a Rechargable Mag Lite that Is very powerful! It retails here in Canada for 150.00 The recharging unit comes with AC/DC adapters so you can keep it in you truck during Huntin season
AL
Old 10-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Spike

If you go to their web site, www.maglite.com it looks like they have it for the 2-6 D cell but not the rechargable. You may want to e-mail them and see if the kit for the D cells will work with your rechargable. To find it click on the flash light and then choose accessories. The kit also comes with a mounting bracket and a lens cover to keep the light from rolling.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2003, 06:33 AM

Been looking as well for a something a little brighter than the basic RED LED, about 8 feet. After much seaching I finally bought the red lens, $3.50, for a monster spot light and made a red lense from it for my 2 D cell mag light. Took 15 minutes, works great.
I did find a nice 3 way head lamp from Mossy Oak with Red, LED, 2 white , flood and a single bright spot. Not to bad for early trips to the blind and seeing when I get inside. $17.