Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever try LED flashlight? >

Ever try LED flashlight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever try LED flashlight?

Old 11-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ever try LED flashlight?

Just curious,
Has anyone tried one of these LED flashlights? They are smaller, more lightweight, and have a loooong battery life. I carry a good size mag-lite. It is bright, tough, but a little heavy when combined with a climber and a small backpack full of possible necessities.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever try LED flashlight?

Yeah, I just bought one a couple weeks ago. The light it emits is very white and fairly bright. Plus it' s so light I barely know that I' m carrying it. I' d say it' s about 3" long and 1" in diameter.

I bought it from Walmart for about $10, and it came with a clip so it can be attached to something (like the bill of your hat), but I just threw the clip on the workbench and haven' t used it.

Personally, I think I like it better than my mini-mag lights. [8D]
Old 11-19-2003, 07:59 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

They are great. They cast a bright light but not a long one. I don' t know how far away you can see it, but it doesn' t throw much of a beam beyond 10-15 yards. It' s perfect for walking thru the woods after dark. Also, I made it thru the whole hunting season last year on one set of 2 AA batteries. Brinkman is the brand I bought. I also bought one that has a head gear sorta thing but I screwed up and bought the red led and not the white led. doesn' t do me too much good to have red light.

David
Old 11-19-2003, 08:10 AM

DPV, I think the red may actually be an advantage because of less game-spooking effect. As long as you are pretty familiar with the woods and don' t need to see way ahead, I would think it would be ideal. Most of the red ones I have seen give enough light to avoid twigs, etc. immediately in front of you.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Streamlight hand held flashlight that holds 4 AA batteries. It has a 2 way switch. One way is bright white light and good for limited tracking. The other way turns on an amber LED light that is bright enough to light the ground and allow you to see, but not light up the woods. It really is the coolest light I' ve ever owned. Seems like I always was buying lights until I cam on this jewel. I was so happy with it I sprung for about $125 for one of their big emergency rechargeable units like the cops and power companies use for a spot light. Here' s a picture of the Syclone. Then neck swings to give you a straight or as shown crooked neck. Totally waterproof and all that. BAtteries last. I replaced the headlamp once in about 5 years.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to get in and out of the woods, I can' t recommend the Streamlight Stylus green led penlight enough.

Looks like a pen, clips to your visor, provides ample green light to get about in the woods. The green light won' t disrupt your night vision like other colors will.

It' s the best $15 I' ve ever spent, LEDs are rated over 100,000 hours, takes 2 4a batteries.

I have a 2 D cell Maglight for tracking jobs.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:27 AM

I have a gree LED flashlight that I use to enter and exit the woods. Works great and it doesn' t scare the deer either.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:45 AM

I used one of the Stylus Green LED' s to start the season. Works great, walked right up on deer without them know I was there, provided plenty of light to get in and out and hang stands. Highly recommend!

One problem with mine...I accidentally put it through the wash. Not sure if I killed the batteries or the entire thing. Can' t seem to find 4A batteries anywhere to find out.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 AM

LED flashlights are the way to go. I have a green Streamlight Stylus and use it every day. I keep it in my back pocket all the time for use at work or in my garage or whatever. I also have a white micro photon LED light on my keyring. I' ve had the micro in use for @ 3 years and replaced the batteries twice, and the stylus for over a year and replaced the batteries once. I used to go through batteries in my mini-mag @ once a month. And I have plenty of light with either LED.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you see bright eyes with them?

I have the WOW light by Streamlight, I believe. It is fairly small, has a rotating head, spreads apart and has a strap for wearing on your hat or around your neck so your hands are free to carry stuff or climb, and I' ve had the same bulb in it for 6 years now. It even has an extra bulb in it in case it burns out, and costs about $20. It truly might be the most for the money of any hunting item I own...

Quick Reply: Ever try LED flashlight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.