Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 EASE of climbing w/Summit Viper >

EASE of climbing w/Summit Viper

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

EASE of climbing w/Summit Viper

Old 07-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default EASE of climbing w/Summit Viper

I have been checking into climber stands. At the stores they say I can but I want to ask actual users. I am in my 50' s and have bad knees. from construction work. Right now I use just ladder stands. Would it be worth it for me to invest in a Summit? What is your actual amount you climb in each move? How much WORK or effort in really needed? THANKS
Old 07-06-2003, 04:57 PM

Default RE: EASE of climbing w/Summit Viper

I have one and have no problem climing with it. I move up the tree about 2ft. at a time with no problems. I don' t think it is any harder than any other stand.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:35 PM

The viper would be a good choice..The front bar can act as a pull up bar...Attach the platform section as low to the bottom of the tree as possible,and attach the seat portion about head high or higher. With the seat portion at head height you simply grasp the front bar of The Viper and pull yourself up and onto the platform...This allows you to step up on the platform with little bending at the knees.....Once you' re standing on the platform you must slide your feet into the bungi cord type sturrips which is the most strainious part for me ......I normally just squat (which works my knees pretty good) and pull up on each sturrip with my hand while sliding each foot into the sturrip. This may be uncomfortable for someone with bad knees.......

But I have an Idea! If you had a broom handle about 2 feet long with a smooth hook on the end, you could remain standing and use the hook to pull up on the sturrips while sliding your feet into them........This way you wouldn' t have to bend or squat at all..........I may try this myself!!! If this works I think you would be happy with a Summit Viper.......

Once you' re standing on the platform and your feet in the sturrips, I think you will have the hard part behind you......From this point to keep the stress on your legs and Knees to a minimum, position the seat portion down about knee or waist height and with stiff arms hanging by your side grasp the side bars of the Viper and support your body removing your weight from your feet.. Now all you' ll have to do is pull up with your feet bringing the platfom up ever how many inches you can stand before hurting your knees. You may have to take shorter strides than one with no knee problems......
I think the Viper will serve you well........It is a very comfortable stand......

Old 07-22-2003, 07:41 PM

I have the summit Viper. I am pretty out of shape and to be honest with you I don' t have any problem climbing. When I am out of shape, I feel it the first time in my lower back but after the first time it is no problem. I once had my release fall out of my pocket just as I got to the top of the tree and I went back down 25 feet and got the release and climbed back up and was set up again in 20 minutes from the time I started climbing back down. And I am 50 pounds overweight and 36 (got to lose weight before october!!). It is a great stand. just never ever ever climb smooth bark trees. Because it will slip. It never fell on me but it is no fun to have it drop 2 inches every time you put weight on it. And ALWAYS wear the harness that comes with it even when climbing and decending. And they are not kidding when they tell you to use the strap that attaches the top piece (the piece you sit in) to the tree when you get to your hunting height. It will fall on almost any tree once you let weight off it if you don' t strap it on and then you find yourself sitting on the platform. It happened to me twice. Otherwise great treestand. You can bow hunt and gun hunt out of it if you put the part you sit in lower for bow and higher for gun. It is very stable, I once got caught in a sudden rainstorm no time to climb down and it felt very secure. I have fallen asleep it in numerous times. No way to fall out, you would have to stand up and jump out. It is very very comfortable like 6 -8 hour comfortable. Stand up every hour and you can sit there all day (except you will fall asleep). The seat is 3 inches of foam and it hangs from the frame so nothing is pushing on your butt. And it has a padded backrest too and even padded armrests. When you stand up it is very quiet, mine has no screws on it, it is all welded. It is also only 19 pounds and not too hard to carry although I wouldn' t want to go a couple miles with it. Hope this helps!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:50 PM

W. Dale,
I forgot about the bending down to do the elastic on the back of each boot. I usually squat also. Man, I got to lose weight. That part wears me out and I find it harder than the climbing. Let me know if your broom handle idea works. I usually have to squat to lift up the toe loops too.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:57 PM

The viper is an excellent choice, and summit has very good customer service. You have gotten good advice as to how to work the stand, but I will add that you just can' t get in too big of a hurry. It seems like I am always telling myself to slow down and take my time as I am climbing. As you get more comfortable with it, you will have the same conversation with yourself. I love my viper, and used it to take all three of my deer last year.