Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit Viper X4

Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Summit Viper X4

I just picked up the new Viper X4 and after a brief climbing session I can say that it seems they've handled the few problems the early models had. I took my first foray into Summit stands last year with a Viper XLS. The stand was top-notch but had the following problems:

1. The cables, especially on the climber portion, rattled like crazy.
2. The bungee straps were cumbersome when heavily suited up for a day's stand.
3. The black buckles used to adjust seat height bent easily and sometimes failed to hold at a set height adjustment

Summit obviously listened to our gripes and addressed what were my only three criticisms of the stand.

The bent bars combined with the new cable barrel adjustment system totally eliminate noise when climbing. I couldn't make this thing rattle as I climbed no matter how hard I shook the upper and lower portions. The new adjustment system is a little awkward at first and requires two hands, but I got used to it towards the end.

The stirrups work as advertised and will be a welcome addition when climbing in pitch-black darkness. It was very easy to position my feet by feel alone and it reminded me of climbing with the old Tree Lounge - nice and easy. Summit gets big points here in my opinion. Having used a Tree Lounge, I can say that the Viper XLS wasn't as easy to climb once everything was set up. However, the new stirrups make the Viper X4 every bit as easy to climb as the Lounge ever was.

The seat buckles are a much heavier gauge of steel than used in last year's model. This made adjustment of the seat more precise and they held their setting despite my attempts to make them slip with my bouncing 230 pounds.

One last note about the welds to join the platform angle bars......they're a little more robust this year. I noted that last year's model had short 3/4" welding beads when a much longer bead was possible. After personally hearing about some broken welds on Summit stands, it seems I wasn't the only one who took notice. This year's welds are an inch or longer and little more comforting to look at for us larger hunters.

Overall, this stand is now what I hoped it was last year. The design is living up to its potential and I look forward putting it through more rigorous tests soon.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit Viper X4

Only fault I can find with it is it is bulky to pack around but that is about it, looks very comfortable.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Summit Viper X4

I found a place to gig the stand last night............the "umbilical rope" that acts as a safety to keep the lower half from falling is too short on the X4. I need at least another foot of rope to climb as efficiently as I did with the XLS.

Small but relevant....................

Fritz