Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 EASE of climbing with  a Summit Viper Climber >

EASE of climbing with a Summit Viper Climber

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

EASE of climbing with a Summit Viper Climber

Old 07-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default EASE of climbing with a Summit Viper Climber

I posted this on another board without much response, so I thought I would try here. I have knees with arthritis in them. I usually use ladder stands, but was wanting to know how much effort is needed for climbing with the Summit. How much distance do you make with each move? Any help would be great. THANKS
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 PM

Default RE: EASE of climbing with a Summit Viper Climber

The Viper is very easy to climb you can sit on the front bar when you climb I have never had any knee problems but you can control how much distance you move being one foot to 3 to 5 feet or more at a time depending on how tall you are
Old 07-08-2003, 07:45 PM

I have a summit bushmaster and love it but I would suggest the viper for you so you can sit down while climbing and it would be easier on your knees..
Old 07-09-2003, 08:37 AM

I agree that the viper is very easy to climb with. Just sit down, stand up, repeat. The distance covered will depend on you. If you have knee problems and aren' t able to lift your knees as high as others might be able to, you' ll probably have to take smaller steps up the tree. But it still won' t take you long to get up there.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure how he viper is, but if it' s like my Summit Revolution (I' m sure it is) it' s a great an easy stand to climb in. For the most part....it' s all about the tree you climb. A nice straight tree with no branches, and very few large nots is easy as pie. I' ve found the hardestpart of mine is actually getting in it. Not sure about the viper, but the revolution has a large foot rest that comes up. Sometimes it' s tough to get under it, and on the stand quietly. It' s also tough to get in it if the base of the tree is really big, and you have to set the stand up a little higher up. It can be trickky to doit and be quiet, ya know.

Overall, I love the stand. They are very quiet while climbing, and pretty comfortable. Comfort is great on the revolution, not as good as my old tree lounge, but the lounge was VERY noisy to set up and climb.

As for the distance you move with each stand up motion is up to you. Go at your own pace. You can go as little or as much as you want. IF you get one....you deffinately should practice before you go out in the field. I had a buddy last year that came out with me. He brought his climber he got on e-bay, and he never used it before. So, he was setting it up for the first time in the dark. Forgot a rope to bring his bow up with him. Then he had never climbed before. It looked easy enough, but it can be a little cumbersom especially when you do it for the first time, and your trying to be quiet. Practice practice. I suggest going to a shop that carries summit and ask if you can give one a shot. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:21 AM

You can`t go wrong with a Viper stand-I`ve got neck and shoulder issues.Another good thing about Summit is that you can order just the different top parts-I have a Viper XL which has a bar,so I just ordered the top of the Cobra for bowhunting for 99.00 bucks.Just go to their website