HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - backpacking tent
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Dave590
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: backpacking tent

Tx, I try and spend a few days each month during the spring and summer loafing around in the forest. I have several different tents, and your right, Figure on about twice the " rated" size tent for real use.

I usually back pack alone, so I use a two man tent for myself, but I use a four man tent if someone goes with me.

I' m not familiar with the tent you mention, But I would like to mention something about tents in general.

I' m not an R.E.I. fan in general, they seem to be kind of a " yuppy" outfit...But they sell the best tents around. They are light weight and pretty durable. My two man tent weighs in at about three and a half pounds, and the four man weighs in around eight. But when your team packing, you can distribute that weight by dividing the tent to one person, and the rods with the other person.

I don' t recall the web site exactly, it' s something like rei.com, but if thats not it, a simple word search will get you to the right place.

Of equal importance is a good roll up self inflatable air mat. They weigh less than a pound, and are invaluable in rocky areas.

I hope that helps...I also tend to roll up a good sized trash bag with my tent, it makes a good " door mat" so you don' t bring the woods in with you on your shoes at night.

If your just " camping" and weight is not really a concern, and your only gonna use it once in a blue moon, it' s my opinion that just about any old kind of tent will work.