Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Raingear

Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Raingear

I'm looking for opinions on quiet raingear for hunting (primarily archery). So far I have found only sitka and shadowear garments locally, neither arereally quiet but better then my wetskins....! The shadowear while not as nice a garmet appears the quietest of these 2.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: Raingear

A couple of years ago it rained all gun season and I got soaked. I swore never again. I ended up buying Rivers West gear and it is very quiet and rain PROOF. Also very expensive. But it is the best that I've ever wore.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I checked them out looks/sounds good. I'm thinking the back country model, while a little warmer/heavier then I original had intended when its wet/windy extra warmth is never a bad thing. Which model did you buy?? I actually found the prices on one site linked to rivers west page weren't to bad at all buti knew I'd have to pay more for waterproof and quiet.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you planning on it raining everyday while you hunt?Odds are it will only rain on you a few times.
I bought Herters FowlTech from Cabelas last year. I wore it almost daily on a caribou hunt, and rolled it up and put it in my pack for bow hunting. I used it 3 times only, but once was the day I arrowed my best buck. I wore it 3 days this year turkey hunting. I bought XL so it fits right over my other jacket/pants when I need to slip it on. It catches burrs, but does a great job in the rain. I'm glad I didn't spend an extra $100 or more for something that wouldn't be more rainproof, just equal to it. That extra money went for a new dozen arrows...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Spike

I went with the Outlaw bibs and jacket. It's the lightest that they have I believe. You have to remember that their garments are wind proof also so it doesn't have to very heavy. If you contact them they will send you a piece of the fabric that they use to check out for yourself.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Handles

Are you planning on it raining everyday while you hunt?Odds are it will only rain on you a few times.
I bought Herters FowlTech from Cabelas last year. I wore it almost daily on a caribou hunt, and rolled it up and put it in my pack for bow hunting. I used it 3 times only, but once was the day I arrowed my best buck. I wore it 3 days this year turkey hunting. I bought XL so it fits right over my other jacket/pants when I need to slip it on. It catches burrs, but does a great job in the rain. I'm glad I didn't spend an extra $100 or more for something that wouldn't be more rainproof, just equal to it. That extra money went for a new dozen arrows...
My intial reasons were for elk and moose seasons. In elk season I have never hunted a week without at least a day of solid rain & usually more. Moose season it is usually pretty wet and i find myself wearingraingear then anything else(be it bottom only, top only or both it gets used a lot. Ie: last year in 6 days of moose huntingit rained 4 and thedays it didn't rainheavy dew in the am that kept it wet till almost noon. Hunting in the forest with high ground cover, wild grasses, natural meadows, swamps, lakes, creeks and lakes without waterproof garmentstends toleave you soaked to the gillsandcold to the bonewithout something protecting your base layers.My light weight raingear isdoneso allI really have for these wet conditions is my heavy wetskin style suit...which works but isn't the stealthiest thus I'm looking for a replacement. If the suit was quiet I think I'dwear it more. Like in the am walking in and hunting in higher ground cover area wear dew is always present here in the fall.Loadbreak mentiones a windproofing layer as well.In a nutshell i want water/wind proof, durable and minimal swishing noises! Thank you for your comments I'll check out the herters you mentioned. How would you rate them in terms of noise or swishing with movements??

If you contact them they will send you a piece of the fabric that they use to check out for yourself.
Cool, thanks again.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are a bit noisy for stalking in moose country, so while they worked well for caribou hunting with minimal vegitation (although lots of rain) and in a tree stand, yes you may be looking for something different for your needs.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM

I have had just about every type of rain gear made. I just purchased the rivers west and am very satisfied with the quality. It is a bit warm to wear most of the time. But like you I plan on elk hunting with it and I think it will be the ticket. Moving slowly or in a stand rivers west was what I was looking for.. Gortex always leaks for me, rubber is too hot. Bass pro has a sale on river west right now.. Good luck