HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Raingear
Thread: Raingear
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Raingear

ORIGINAL: Handles

Are you planning on it raining everyday while you hunt?Odds are it will only rain on you a few times.
I bought Herters FowlTech from Cabelas last year. I wore it almost daily on a caribou hunt, and rolled it up and put it in my pack for bow hunting. I used it 3 times only, but once was the day I arrowed my best buck. I wore it 3 days this year turkey hunting. I bought XL so it fits right over my other jacket/pants when I need to slip it on. It catches burrs, but does a great job in the rain. I'm glad I didn't spend an extra $100 or more for something that wouldn't be more rainproof, just equal to it. That extra money went for a new dozen arrows...
My intial reasons were for elk and moose seasons. In elk season I have never hunted a week without at least a day of solid rain & usually more. Moose season it is usually pretty wet and i find myself wearingraingear then anything else(be it bottom only, top only or both it gets used a lot. Ie: last year in 6 days of moose huntingit rained 4 and thedays it didn't rainheavy dew in the am that kept it wet till almost noon. Hunting in the forest with high ground cover, wild grasses, natural meadows, swamps, lakes, creeks and lakes without waterproof garmentstends toleave you soaked to the gillsandcold to the bonewithout something protecting your base layers.My light weight raingear isdoneso allI really have for these wet conditions is my heavy wetskin style suit...which works but isn't the stealthiest thus I'm looking for a replacement. If the suit was quiet I think I'dwear it more. Like in the am walking in and hunting in higher ground cover area wear dew is always present here in the fall.Loadbreak mentiones a windproofing layer as well.In a nutshell i want water/wind proof, durable and minimal swishing noises! Thank you for your comments I'll check out the herters you mentioned. How would you rate them in terms of noise or swishing with movements??

If you contact them they will send you a piece of the fabric that they use to check out for yourself.
Cool, thanks again.