Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS questions

Old 03-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GPS questions

I have a DeLorme Earthmate and enjoy it very much. The earthmate I have is the PN-20 and no compass. However the Earthmate PN-40 does have the compass. I am just more used to using a compass that I wouldn't want to give a compass up no matter what.. But my deLorme works well for anything you described here. Most of the GPS will work for what you want to do with it as long as it can get a sattilite signal..Good luck with what you decide..
Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]This is a common question so here is a clip and paste response I offered some time ago.
After many years and numerous units tried maybe this info will help?
First decide what features are most important. Signal reception, electronic compass, topo maps, color, etc...
Not to bash anyone else's gear but Garmin tends to lead the pack with Delorme running a darn close second. The other brands consistently fall short withreviews.
If reception is your #1 concern, as with most who go off the beaten path, in deep valleys, or heavy cover the Garmins with a "H" are a must,.

Next you need to decide which features you want and or how much you want or don't want to spend?
The Garmin 60 series not only has a highly sensative chip set but also will hold a signal regardless of what position you hold it in. Hence the antenna sticking up. This is important is you want to maintain your signal while it is in a pocket or pack. Units with the antenna mounted flat on the face prefer to be held horizontal. Throw it in a pocket and you will typically lose the signal. Most hunters have their hands already full so the ability to drop the 60s in a pocket yet continue to track tends to be important.

Other features? Topo maps are proprietary. So if you buy Garmin you will also have to buy Mapsource topos if you want detail. It comes with a basic base map but it's not much to it. Mapsource will kick it up to 1;100 scale. The Nat Parks mapsource will give you 1;24k scale.
Here is where Delorme PN-20 or PN-40 is kicking their butts. The PN-20/40 comes with topo software and it is 1;24k scale. The PN also has aerial photo overlay and comes with great software. Typically PN20 is cheaper than the higher end Garmins whitle the 40 runs about the same. But the PN prefers to be held horizontal.

The electronic compass. Pn-20 does not offer this the 40 does. The Garmins with a "X" have it. Some folks say it's not needed. However consider this. An electronic compass provides a correct direction while standing still and it sure is nice knowing from the first step that you are headed in the right direction. Finding out that you were suppose to be going the other way after climbing through 100 yards of thicket sucks. Units without an electronic compass can and will do this to you every now and then.

Color screen? Thats up to you and your eyes. Father time will help with this choice. What ever you do get the units in hand and figure out what works for you. Most folks find the color screens better, but thats no surprise I'm sure.

Battery life? This is where some of the other brands have issues. Delorme and Garmin have it figured out.

Customer Service? Both are Great!

Thats it in a nut shell. There is more info on the pros and cons of different topo software and smaller differences with units but generally speaking Garmin or Delorme will not let you down.

Back to cost. Yes the 60 will set you back a few hundred bucks. If you really don;t need the extras go with one of the H series Garmins and you will be fine.

For more info check out groundspeak.com or gpsreview.com Tons of stuff on these units can be found there.

Whatever you do once you have the unit, purchase a protective screen shield. Invisibleshield (on line) its great and will keep the screen looking like new forever.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. OH! If you haven't done it already go to the Garmin web site and you can compare thier units and features side by side.. A big help when trying to sort out this stuff.

PS... I have the Garmin 60 CSx and have no regrets money well spent. If I were buying today I would have to take a close look at the
PN-40

[/blockquote]
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Garmin all the way. We use them at work and I have one at home. The 76 series has a big screen and has been exceptionally rugged. You can get free software to backup your points on your home computer in case you ever lost or damaged your GPS. You can then reload them to a new unit. Also good for cleaning up old points!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: P3FE

I use a Garmin Etrex Venture and it works great for me. Sounds like we use it for the same purposes. If you get a Garmin get oneof theHC series. The antenna is much better than the older Etrex's. With the older version I would loose the signal in tree cover, the HC series has a much better reception.
I dont have any problems using the map sourcewith Vista plus I use the GPS coordinates and plug them into google earth. makes for a great resource.
X2, I love mine. I also loaded the topo maps on mine.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that I'm electronicly challenged i.e. lowtech redneck,but, I've had the etex and a magellan and finally went to the busnell Backtrack, cheap and it doesn't do any of the downloadable stuff I'mjust able to mark my truck and 2 other locations.that and 2 compasses is allthat I need.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use Garmin - soem hae the elctronic compass and yes I still carry a compass as well as extra batteries!

I even have a Garmin for my dogs!

JW
Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Three years ago I asked around about which was best. A co-worker, who uses his in Colorado, told me he just purchased a low-end Etrex because the one he had (with the mapping) burned through batteries too fast. I also purchased the low-end Etrex (Summit) and love it. Of course, I only use it to mark camp, truck, hunting spots, and tree stands. It has never let me down. It takes a little longer to get bearings in heavy canopy.
Battery life may be better now or with different makes.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM

I have 3 Garmeins the radio is very limited and it runs through batteries quickly. The mapping is ok but the are a lot better ones on the market minus the radio.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM

I have 3 Garmeins the radio is very limited and it runs through batteries quickly. The mapping is ok but the are a lot better ones on the market minus the radio.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

A Garmin Etrex is inexpensive (about $100 maybe?) and is easy to use. It does not have as many features as other GPSs. It does not provide topographical map displays as some more expensive GPSs do. Its receiver may not be as good under tree cover as other more expensive GPSs. Notwithstanding, it provides all the functionality you mentioned you need. It provides a compass function. It allows you to mark spots so you can return to them.

Do note that if going into the wilderness you should have back-up in the form of map and compass, in case the batteries go out or in case you drop your GPS in the creek and the electronics fry.

No doubt there are other inexpensive GPSs that would be as suitable as the Garmin Etrex. I've got one and I like it -- it does what I need. I've used it elk hunting and on a week-long wilderness backpacking trip (in both cases, good topomaps and compass were in my packs, and in fact I relied a lot more on the maps than the GPS -- just used that to mark places and to determine elevations).