HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GPS questions
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GPS questions

A Garmin Etrex is inexpensive (about $100 maybe?) and is easy to use. It does not have as many features as other GPSs. It does not provide topographical map displays as some more expensive GPSs do. Its receiver may not be as good under tree cover as other more expensive GPSs. Notwithstanding, it provides all the functionality you mentioned you need. It provides a compass function. It allows you to mark spots so you can return to them.

Do note that if going into the wilderness you should have back-up in the form of map and compass, in case the batteries go out or in case you drop your GPS in the creek and the electronics fry.

No doubt there are other inexpensive GPSs that would be as suitable as the Garmin Etrex. I've got one and I like it -- it does what I need. I've used it elk hunting and on a week-long wilderness backpacking trip (in both cases, good topomaps and compass were in my packs, and in fact I relied a lot more on the maps than the GPS -- just used that to mark places and to determine elevations).