Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

millet scopes??

Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default millet scopes??

i'm looking for a new scope for my savage 110 270. my dad has a millet silver series 3x-9x-40x for his 243. winchester. he loves it. i was thinking about getting one like it. i am really looking for something that is gonna hold up to a-lot of abuse. i have hunted 100 hours in the past week or so. i put my current simmons scope through its paces yesterday while taking it up a large hill on a quad. it got bumped many times. only to come home and target practice to find that the scope was way out of sight. so i want something under $200, sturdy, has to have a good zoom on it no less than 9x. so yeah if i could some help that would be great!!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: millet scopes??

By ALL MEANS do yourself a huge favor and check out the nikon scopes. The prostaff 3x-9x-40mm offers lifetime warranty,positive click adjustments,and is THE best scope on the market for 150$ and under.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, you are asking for a lot of a $200 scope. I would think you could get one which tracks well and is reasonably durable for this price. You might try a fixed power scope for simplicity's sake in this price range. That said I have shot with scopes from $20 - $700. I only had one completely fall apart in my hand. 2 of them which sold in the $50 - $100 just quit holding zero at all. Frankly, in the sub $100 range, eventually the scope will give out and ruin your day. In the sub-$200 range, the scope may achieve zero eventually, but it will not track well enough to get there quickly and easily. In the $300 plus range, I can generally sight in with less than 5 shots. That is value. Under $200, complete sight in is usually a 20 shot affair. How many times do you have to sight in to afford the better scope.

Regarding Millett scopes specifically, I own the DMS-1. It sights in quick. I do need to test it's tracking though. I suspect it will track ok, but there will be some small issue I believe. I can't say yet.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read his post good enough and missed the part about rattling around on 4wheelers. In that case,only a full blown tactical scope will hold up. In sporting department,the burris has "posi-lock" which locks all sighting adjustments down solid after you sight it in but you could still knock reticule plumb out with a extremely hard hit.