Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Garmin GPS Units WAAS Update. Unit Freezes Up!! >

Garmin GPS Units WAAS Update. Unit Freezes Up!!

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Garmin GPS Units WAAS Update. Unit Freezes Up!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Garmin GPS Units WAAS Update. Unit Freezes Up!!

I have been having an issue with my Garmin Rino 120 for a while now. About 45-60 seconds into turning it on the screen would go blank except for a thin horizontal line. the unit is unresponsive and I would have to remove the batteries and try it again with the same outcome again and again and again and so on. Well I finally researched the issue and found a post on some repair forum. The issue is with the WAAS system, from what Garmin told me is that the US Govt moved a satellite and it is interfering with communications on gps units. What you have to do is fire up your unit, go to your control panel and disable WAAS. then download a software update. Once complete you can enable WAAS and everythiing is back to new.

Just wanted to pass this on incase someone is having the same issues I was.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Garmin GPS Units WAAS Update. Unit Freezes Up!!

I am having the same issue. Where do you get the software update?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

you can get the update from the Garmin website. I was told from one of thier techs to download the software updater program and it would install whatever update your gps unit needs.

I dont know why Garmin didnt release somesort of press release to let everyone know why thier units no longer function.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Spike

That is great to hear, not great but I thought my unit was messed, ready to replace, mine was a Garmin ETrex Legend,

I have since performed the upgrade and I will have to retest to see if the problem is gone,

Wasn't even trying to fine this solution but hey, amazing what you fine when you are just browsing around,

Thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Im glad it helped you. I was bored at work one day so I figured I would try to find a fix for mine before I replaced it. I found a post on some site talking about the WAAS system screwing up everyones gps units. You would think that garmin and all the other companies would get the word out, but I guess people buying more units is good for business. Im just glad I found the info out before I shelled out some more money. And Im glad I could pass the info on to some folks on here.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

i had the same problem with mine, i went to the website and updated my gps, now everything is fine again.....