Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Millet help

Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Millet help

Just bought a bag of browntop millet.

No seeding info on the bag or from the store. I suspect about 25 pounds per half acre which is what I have to plant??

I suspect from seed size that I may want to scatter and then drag without a disc at all? Disc could get seed too deep?

Finally I want the seed mature around end of August/ Sept 1 dove season here. From what I can read its about 60 days to seed-- anyone know if thats accurate. Rain rates drop here in the summer and i"m thinking about planting around mid June when I see rain coming.

All info appreciated. Patch is next to 1 acre of peredovik sunflowers so am hoping to draw a few birds at least so my lab isn't so perturbed with me
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Millet help

so my lab isn't so perturbed with me
your lab practices perturbation too? i finally let my mutt do the shooting!

i've planted b.t. millet the last few years in my duck marsh in s.e. kansas. imo, there's nothing easier or more fool-proof to plant than millets.

i usually plant millets in mid-july for waterfowl, but you'll want to plant sooner for opening day of dove season. b.t. matures in 60 days or less, shatters easily which scatters seed on the ground, and also lodges quickly when in a wet environment. b.t. can be seeded at a rate of 10-20 lbs per acre, so i usually buy a #50 bag and broadcast seed on 2 acres.

here's what i do:
roto-till ground and allow soil to dry out for a few days before roto-tilling again. this results in very dry, chalky soil which i broadcast the seed on using a handcrank spreader. once the seed is on the ground i pull a homemade drag behind my atv to bury the seed no deeper than 1". that's it! no soil testing, fertilizer, herbicides, etc.. and the stuff grows like crazy.

good luck

Old 06-02-2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info!

Yes our lab does more than that. He is severly spoiled by both my wife and I. He is our child. He sleeps where he wants to. Usually around an AC vent or in front of his personal fan....

Now you have me peaked on millet for ducks. Only bad thing is I don't have a good place to plant it. Might have to see if I can cut out an edge of the pond if it ever gets wet again. Maybe a foot deep and plant. Might be fun keeping the cows out though. Guess it'll require another fence.... I just don't like cows much...

Jeff
Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM

sounds like a great dog... my lab spoiled me for the last 11 years. couldn't ask for a better canine companion, and brother that dog lived to hunt!!!

imo, browntop millet is the best grass planting for waterfowl. i think it produces more seed per plant than jap. millet in ideal conditions (i.e. water-controlled marsh). i've heard that jap millet is more resilient than b.t. if summer t-storms cause temporary flooding (such as a pond). i disagree and think both tolerate brief flooding well.

good luck and scratch your dogs ears for me.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: StrmChzr
here's what i do:
roto-till ground and allow soil to dry out for a few days before roto-tilling again. this results in very dry, chalky soil which i broadcast the seed on using a handcrank spreader. once the seed is on the ground i pull a homemade drag behind my atv to bury the seed no deeper than 1". that's it! no soil testing, fertilizer, herbicides, etc.. and the stuff grows like crazy.

good luck

I might suggest something similar. Roto till or disk, then broadcast the seed and cultipack.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seeded Japanese Millet, shouldn't be that much different, I would get it in the ground soon, drag a piece of chainlink over it should cover it sufficiently....