Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Right rangefinder, good price? >

Right rangefinder, good price?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Right rangefinder, good price?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Spike

Default Right rangefinder, good price?

My brothers and I hunt in the southern part of Wisconsin, where it's all pretty much shotgun, no rifles. My older brother also hunts up north, though, where rifles are allowed. He also goes out to South Dakota once or twice a year for prairie dog shooting with his .22-250 Browning.

Anyway, my other brothers and I were thinking about maybe getting him a rangefinder for his birthday. I found this one at hhttp://www.gunshopfinder.com/bushnell_rangefinders/bushnell_elite_1500_205104.html. The price seems good when I looked at other stores.

I don't know much about rangefinders, though. I don't know that he'd need it for deer hunting, but I thought it would be good for prairie dogs.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default RE: Right rangefinder, good price?

I have a Bushnell Scout ARC and it is great. You have to watch the ranges that the company says it will work to. The maximum distances are with a reflector of some type Who uses a reflector? I have tested mine out to 400yds and it read acurately. My brother has a nikon without ARC (is cheaper)and there is little difference between the two unless there is a straight up/down angle.

If he bowhunts or Turkey Hunts than they are nice. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM

i work at gander mtn part time when im not at the fire dept, and i have talked to a bunch of people about the arc feature, and to be honest if ur going to bow hunt, its not needed b/c at 30 yards or so there is no difference in yardage and if there is its within 1 yard and if u cant hit the target cuz of a yard difference then u tell me should u hunt, now if ur going to be shooting rifle hundreds of yards then yea it would be worth it but if not dont pay a extra 50 dollars or more for the arc feature
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold RXII and have been happy with it so far. My primary use is for ranging ground hogs and distant landmarks in preparation for the hunt. I prefer to know the ranges in the fields I'm hunting beforehand. Eliminates the need for having to take precious seconds before a shot when a shooter comes onto the scene when you already know how far away it is. If it is like the rest of the Elite line it will be well worth the money. I'm sure your brother will be very happy with it. Free shipping is nice too.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Nikon 440. it will run you about $180. I will buy the exact one if this one was to ever die.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Spike

I just purchased a Nikon Monarch Laser 800. I got it off ebay for a real reasonable price. I have not got to use it very much yet but from what i can tell it is a really nice piece of equipment.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:21 AM

www.theopticzone.com

This is on sale ... while supplies last...

[/align]

Product Name: Buckmaster Laser 600, Realtree Camo

Product ID:Nik8355

Manufacturer:Nikon

Price:$199.00

Category:Rangefinders

Description:The pocket size Buckmaster Laser 600 with Nikon's original digital measurement process delivers accurate measurements out to 600 yards, even targets partially screened by grass or brush. A perfect choice for any hunter, the Laser 600 displays yardages in 1/2 yard increments from 11 to 99.5 yards with -/+1 yard accuracy and in one yard increments from 100 to 600 yards. Nikon's legendary optics arnd proprietary anti-reflective multicoatings are utilized in the 6x20 moncular from excellent low light brightness and resolution. A diopter focus control enables pinpoint clarity. Whatever you hunt, where ever youhunt, you can trust Nion's Laser 600 as an important tool for success.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have the nikon prostaff 550, so far i like it real well
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Bushnell Scout 1000 from walmart.com for $200. There's a $50 rebate through Bushnell for that model.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 PM

I was reading some things at work about the bushnells and the nikons, the bushnells are on a average 20-50 dollars more and dont range as far nor a better laser or magnification, i suprised to read that but its there and having played with a bunch of them i like the nikon 550, and 440, for around 200 they range far out good lasers, and i really like the scan on them. but hey everyone is different, those just happend to be the ones i like for the money