Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

2 Way Radios

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Default RE: 2 Way Radios

I'm looking at buying the Midland GXT850VP4's I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with these or any of the newer Midlands. I'm liking what they claim is a 26 mile radius, they should surely work where I hunt, nowhere near that distance, plus their rechargable and claim to be waterproof which wouldn't be neccesary but it's a plus, seems to meyou wouldn't need them to be waterproof unless they weren't.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 PM

I purchased those 3 wks ago....used them everytime ive been in the woods since, about 6 x's. Where i hunt, it is SUPER THICK.... let me restate that SUUUPPPERRRRRR THICK!!! Central Florida, swamps, hammocks, cypress domes....lucky if you can see your buddy 25 yrds away let alone spit without it getting on you LOL.... my range is maybe3/4 mile. Now thats clear readable range. Maybe 1-1&1/4 miles broken transmission. I havent found any radio's that operate well with this kind of cover. Now in plain open area's, they work awsome! and i wouldnt doubt a range of 20+ miles. For the $$$ i think they work great. I am never more than a few hundred yards from my buddy anyways so they are perfect. Some of the features are pretty awsome too!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on on a mountain. I have a mix of Midland's and Moto's. The Midlands are ok, but I have found more success with the Motos.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 PM

If you have a pair of the Motorola (forgot the exact model number) but they are yellow if that helps? But, i bought a pair and they were absolutely horrible. I contacted Motorola and they know they are crappy too. They didnt complain, they sent me 2 new Motorola (not the same ones), you just have to send those back in to them. So I would try contacting the company.