Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Two-Way Radios

Old 10-13-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Two-Way Radios

Which ones do yall recommend? What specs are important to pay attention to?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Two-Way Radios

Midland 550 GRMS/FRS Radios. Just purchased them when they hit the market this year and they are the best I have ever used in terms of range. They have all the features, 3 year warranty and rechargeable battery lasted for a 12-14 hours. I like the ability to remove the rogers beep and Vibrate alert if not using head sets. VOX for me isn't a big deal but most have them, including the midlands. However I would pay attention most to the watts of power they use. Do not look at what the mile rating is, as it means squat in the woods. The maxium range they publish is direct line of sight and done over water which allows the signal to carry. The Midland 550 series is the only 5 watt radio I know of on the market. I have used motorola, corbas and few other brands none compared to the midland in real life hunting conditions that we encounter.We got 3-4 miles in rough terrain, priorwe were lucky to get half that.In more open terrain that mileage will grow, but haven't really tested it much in this regard.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Ditto to the Midland's. I think I have used about every one on the market and always go back to Midland. I would also recommend the ear piece/microphones. If they don't come with it (and they often do) buy some. We talk with deer within 25 yards with no problems (whisper). Keep in mind however, that in a lot of hunting conditions where there are woods, that you will be lucky to get a quarter mile out of them. Doesn't matter whether they are1 milers or 10 milers.That has been our experience in our hunting conditions anyways.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:13 AM

We just bought the Garmin RINOs. If you want to spend the extra money, they are terrific units. The all-in-one GPS/Radio units are easy to use and the radios work as well as any of the FRS/GMRS units out there. Thing I like the best is you always know where your hunting pardners are.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got me the Motorola 5864's or something like that, 5 mile version. No problems receiving in rocky terrain up to a mile away. Whatever you do, get one with GMRS and privacy codes so you don't have to hear someone else cutting in.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:36 PM

I used some midland GXT-450 last year and really liked them. they were far better than the motorolas i have. I liked them so much i ordered the same GXT-550's as SKEETER!
They cost a little more but are worth it.
Check out BUY.com they had a great price on them.

http://www.buy.com//retail/searchresults.asp?ra=p01,zc01,mm01~ms01,mp01,& alpha2=&alpha=&csel=zc01&mfgid=0&o rderby=0&pagereq=1&pas=p01,zc01,mm01&q u=midland&querytype=&search_store=8&nt =&cscat=1&showcats=0&als=3&loc=111 &sku=&p01=&zc01=50056&mm01=&Se archEngine=google&Type=111604&Keyword=Midl and+radio&Category=CE_Nov04&dcaid=16009

Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Highpower

We just bought the Garmin RINOs. If you want to spend the extra money, they are terrific units. The all-in-one GPS/Radio units are easy to use and the radios work as well as any of the FRS/GMRS units out there. Thing I like the best is you always know where your hunting pardners are.
Highpower, my hunting partners and I all use RINOs, but we have to carry an extra radio on a different channel to talk to each other. We have found the range to be VERY limited for the radios. I agree, it is great to bea able to tell where the other guy is, but we have found it only works out to about 1/2 mile. Maybe the radios have gotten better in them, I got mine when they first came out.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Spike

we have not had good luck with the rino, i would not suggestgoing with them.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: brownhaired monarch

we have not had good luck with the rino, i would not suggestgoing with them.
The RINO is great as a GPS, but the radios need some work.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Got me the Motorola 5864's or something like that, 5 mile version. No problems receiving in rocky terrain up to a mile away. Whatever you do, get one with GMRS and privacy codes so you don't have to hear someone else cutting in.
Doug,

Whatever happened to those good ol' T6400s you picked up off of Ebay for a steal?

Quick Reply: Two-Way Radios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.