Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS Reviews

Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default GPS Reviews

I know there has to be a review on this sight somewherebut I can not find it.
can anyone point me in the right direction.
I am trying to research before purchasing a new one.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: GPS Reviews

I bought the Etrex Legend a couple years ago and like it a lot. Itcost less than $150 but came with a PC interface cable (an accessory thatcostsaround $45 bucks with other GPSs) and can upload/download Topo USA maps (around $100) with 8 MBs of memory.This is enough memory, for example, to download detailed base maps of most of SE MT. A rather vast area.Its also simple to download detailed base maps of other areas if you go hunting/fishing/traveling in another area.

The Legendsdo come with a built in base map, but for serious workyou'll want the upgraded Topo maps. The Legendalso comes withsun/moon and hunting/fishing functions that I find usefull.

In conjunction withthe Topo USA software loaded on my PC (and the Legend), the Etrex Legend has become something I rely on a lot. Its especially useful for recording fishingwaypoints for later ice fishing. Worth its weight in gold for that. It is easy to download/upload waypoints and tracks to/from the GPS/PC.

Not too bad for under $250 bucks for the GPS, detailed basemaps for theUS(including Alaska and Hawaii),PC software, PC interface cable, and accessories.

I would recommend this setup to others.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 PM

If you are going to use it to hunt with i would get any of the garmins that had storage capacity to down load maps from mapquest topo that will give you lots of options on terrain mapping. a few years back they had a unit called topo it had topo maps built in haven't seen any lately it was about $300.00 thought that was a good price because the mapquest cd is $100.00 alone. they discontinued it i guess.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is an outfit called Forestry Suppliers Inc. out of Jackson MS. They have a free catalog in which there is an excellent objective comparison ofvertually allof the handheld GPS units. The comparison includes: accuracy, acquisition time, expandablility, various features, memory size, map diplay, etc.
Before you buy, it would be worth it to check it out.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Spike

I will second that about Forestry Suppliers and their concise comparision of the GPSs in their catalog. However,I would not buy from FS as they are very expensive. We order from them because we have to given we have government reg.s to follow, but you can get things, like GPS units, way cheaper.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM

What is your primary use going to be, that makes a difference when choosing a GPS
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

There was a good thread on this a while back. It may have been in the gen/deer forum though.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have always had Magellan units and have no issues with them. I regularly use Magellan and Garmin software. The Garmin software is far superior to use. I take my GPS info and manually type it into my Garmin topo progrms to study on the computer. If it is a choice of Magellan or Garmin for my next unit, I will be choosing Garmin due to the software. Both companies make a decend unit. I would like to know more about the other companies map programs.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Delorme Earthmate PN-20 is the future way of GPS systems. Here is just a few reviews for you..

Earthmate PN-20 Reviews and Testimonials
[/align][/align]
Backpacker Magazine
[/align]"With the DeLorme PN-20, imagery is king. Download super-detailed topo, street, and aerial maps onto the 1GB memory card."
[/align][/align]
Army Times
[/align]"Priced at just under $370, software included, with a host of features usually reserved for pricier GPS models, it might just replace whatever you're using now."
[/align][/align]
The N.Y. Times & International Herald Tribune
[/align]"Off-road, where there are no pre-mapped tracks, most hand-held GPS systems show your current coordinates, along with major landmarks like streams and mountains, and keep track of the paths you have followed. They don't tell you what the terrain is like, or what is beyond the next hill or bend.
[/align]But the DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 knows, displaying topographical maps - with elevation profiles, campgrounds and trails as well as streets and highways - as realistic 3-D flyover simulations, or as bird's-eye aerial or satellite views showing landmarks.
[/align]The DeLorme Topo USA 6.0 DVD software, with topological and road maps of the United States and major-highway maps of the world, is included in the $370 price of the PN-20. Roads can be superimposed on topological maps and aerial imagery downloaded from the Web and stored in a 75-megabyte user memory or optional SD cards up to 2 gigabytes. The 2.2-inch, daylight-readable display can show trip details, compass headings, rising and setting times of the sun and moon, and local tide schedules."
[/align][/align]
PC World
[/align]"What separates the PN-20 from the crowd is its ability to store and display topographic, aerial, and satellite images…the PN-20 is a fine navigation device. I found its color screen exceptionally easy to see in bright sun …Exchanging maps, waypoints, track details, and other mapping information between the PN-20 and the Topo USA application is a snap …The PN-20 should appeal to kayakers, hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, and other outdoor-sport enthusiasts."
[/align][/align]
National Geographic Adventure Magazine, May 2007
[/align]"Think Google Earth for the palm of your hand."
[/align][/align]