HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GPS Reviews
Thread: GPS Reviews
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
JoeBigSky
Spike

Default RE: GPS Reviews

I bought the Etrex Legend a couple years ago and like it a lot. Itcost less than $150 but came with a PC interface cable (an accessory thatcostsaround $45 bucks with other GPSs) and can upload/download Topo USA maps (around $100) with 8 MBs of memory.This is enough memory, for example, to download detailed base maps of most of SE MT. A rather vast area.Its also simple to download detailed base maps of other areas if you go hunting/fishing/traveling in another area.

The Legendsdo come with a built in base map, but for serious workyou'll want the upgraded Topo maps. The Legendalso comes withsun/moon and hunting/fishing functions that I find usefull.

In conjunction withthe Topo USA software loaded on my PC (and the Legend), the Etrex Legend has become something I rely on a lot. Its especially useful for recording fishingwaypoints for later ice fishing. Worth its weight in gold for that. It is easy to download/upload waypoints and tracks to/from the GPS/PC.

Not too bad for under $250 bucks for the GPS, detailed basemaps for theUS(including Alaska and Hawaii),PC software, PC interface cable, and accessories.

I would recommend this setup to others.