Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cabelas Rain Gear

Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cabelas Rain Gear

Just wanted to let everyone know I purchased $200 rain gear from Cabelas it's style is "Dry Plus". I am EXTREMELY ANAL about my gear and it is not used for anything but hunting in the rain. It's now 5 years old and I would say it was worn 8 times(maybe). This yearI was hunting in New Brunswick andthe gear failed miserably, Ihad never been in a hard rain with this stuff before and I guess that’s why I had no complaints...keep in mind this stuff is in immaculate condition!! I keep all my hunting gear is clean dry storage so it did not fail do to being mistreated. Cabelas guarantee is ONE YEAR ONLY...so if you decide to purchase ANY GEAR from them keep this in mind. Well after two letters to Cabelas they will give me back 40% of the purchase price. I will give the gift certificate to a kid and let him/her purchase something for fishing/hunting just as long as it can be backed directly from the manufacturer and not Cabelas. I usually purchase from LL Bean but I thought Cabelas selection on rain gear was a little better BIG MISTAKE.
Dear LL BEAN,
I am sorry...I should have never strayed please forgive me for even thinking there was another alternative. You have always treated me good...I don't know what I was thinking. I will be up to your store in Freeport Maineas soon as I can get there to purchase my new rain gear.
Yours Truly,
Wet & Soggy
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Cabelas Rain Gear

Thanks for the heads-up. It is too bad stuff failed you.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Look,I have 2 different sets of dry-plus rain gear. Both have seen at least 20 days in the field in Western Oregon rain. And believe me when I say rain I don't mean drizzle! Now they haven't performed flawlessly every single time, but 90 percent of the time I'm 90 percent dry. As time goes on Ido noticethem getting worse, but that seems to be the norm with breathable rain gear.My older set is2 years old and my newer is 1 year old. Maybe there dry-plus products have gotten a lot better in 4 years. I can tell you that not many companies would give you jack after 6 years. That says something good about Cabelas. Ibelieve they are a top notch company, personally! Do you by chance turn your garments inside out when you launder them?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Elknfiend,
I really buy most of my stuff from LL Bean. Reason being I had a pair of 30 year old pac boots that were the best, I was never cold in them, they wore just right and I could still hunt in them for days. I brought them back to Bean to be re-soled and they told me the mold was no longer available to do that BUT instead they would give me my MONEY BACK!!! I asked the girl if she was nuts? She said Bean stands 100% behide everthing they sell...I felt guilty but they gave me a new pair which I had to gladly pay the difference in cost from 30 years ago till now.
Why would I ever buy elsewhere after that?
Bottom line is Cabelas advertise 100% water proof >>>>it's not period.
They were not even friendly when I questioned them about it...I'm done with them
PS: The gear was never washed
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM

That's really shocking to me; Cabela's has provided quality products to me for years now. Although I have never bought any of their "Rain Gear" specifically; I do own the MT050 Whitetail Extreme parka and bips which is GORE-TEX, Scent-Lok, Thinsulate, and ClimaFlex, and I couldn't be happier! It's kept me 100% dry and warm in freezing rain all day long and I've had the combo for quite some time.

Anyways, I'm sorry about you're misfortune. Do you think I could be the lucky kid to get your 40% off coupon?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

My theory in buying from Cabela's is to avoid gear with the Cabela's logo attached. In other words, use Cabela's to buy something from Browning or Gore Tex or whatever, but if it's specifically a Cabela's brand, avoid it.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

My theory in buying from Cabela's is to avoid gear with the Cabela's logo attached. In other words, use Cabela's to buy something from Browning or Gore Tex or whatever, but if it's specifically a Cabela's brand, avoid it.
I agree 100%

Cabela's doesn't manufacture great products, but they do indeed sell great products. Which is the main reason I don't use their camo Seclusion 3D.