Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one >

field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

I have a buck alpha folder w/ gut hook that works great, I just hate cleaning it afterward. Lots of nooks and crannies.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marble's® Fieldcraft™ with Black Rubber SafeGrip Handle
MA80303 $14.99
This is a pretty good small fixed blade at a good price.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

[hr]

Marttiini™ Big Game™ with Rubber Handle
MT184019 $16.99
Qty:

Marttiini™ Deluxe Skinner with Rubber Handle
MT184017 $15.99
Qty:

Marttiini™ Hunter with Rubber Handle
MT184015 $14.99
Qty:

Marttiini™ Little Classic™ with Rubber Handle
MT184010 $12.99
Qty:

Marttiini™ Skinner with Rubber Handle
MT184014 $14.99

Got one of these recently.(the deluxe skinner model i think it is)Nice knife for the price.Made in finnland
Verysharp some are very much like those swedish mora,s mentioned( have a swedesh army looks the same& was $9. only thing i have skinned with my swede is a few rattlesnakes)

Those above are avalable at smokymtn knife works . at i believeWWw.eknifeworks.com

Old 09-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The marbles,swede( mine has a high carbon, non chromium blade, like the fin,s have above)& all good knifes for me.
Was just looking at all those Marttiini knifes on that site , seems all are temp out of stock....
Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for Kershaw Blade trader. I have the Alaskan model. Great knife has 3 interchangable blades. I was so impressed that I bought another model for the house that has 6 different blades and 2 handles. I use it for all the themajor cutting at the house.
Check them out on Ebay for a good price.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 PM

I've tried several, including Buck vanguard, Marbles Sport, CRKT Alaska Buana, Kershaw Blade Trader, Gerber Bolt Action and a "Dozier Kabar". Of these the one I liked best was the Marbles. It has a thick blade that won't flex and it seams to hold an edge well.

Two years ago I shot a buffalo and 2 buddies and I skinned it. What a job!!! I can't believe indians did this with flint tools. Gutting, skinning and capping we dulled 6 knives. All of the knives started very sharp but some dulled very quickly.

After a sheep hunt this year I decided I wanted a new knife. This time I did some research. There is a huge difference is steal used. It seams that one of the best is D2, which is "tool steal". Apparently it is hard to sharpen and you need to use diamond. But, once you have an edge, it lasts.

I ended up getting a Knives of Alaska Alaska Hunter with a combo sheath. In the front sheath I keep a Marbles Mini Caper. I hope to try it out in about 2 1/2 months.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I like my Bark River Knife and Tool gameskeeper, with a convex edge and a busse groove master, I did gut 5 deer last year with the busse and have yet to sharpen it. I'll be using the gameskeeper this year to test it out. I've been using a BRKT norhtstar for camping that has held up real well to abuse. Kind of steel, rc and edge make all the difference in the world. BRKT is lifetime warrenty made in MI with free sharpening but you pay S&H. I had a buck zipper but it doesn't hold an edge to my standards and is collecting dust somewhere
Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used a lot - Gerber, Buck, Schrade, Kershaw, etc. I find the Buck Alpha to hold a good edge but the best so far is my Cold Steel Carbon V Ultimate Hunter. Awesome knife and sheath!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I'm using a new knife this year, it's called a Buck Omni Hunter (folding blade with gut hook). The handle has a real nice contour, and fits well in my hand.