Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looking for a new skinning knife >

Looking for a new skinning knife

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for a new skinning knife

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a new skinning knife

I'm in the market for a new skinning knife now, and I thought I'd get a few opinions on here on what to look for. What do you guys like, folding or fixed, gut hook or no, and blade type? Also, if you don't mind, why? Money is an issue here, don't want to break the bank on a knife, but I do want a reliable one that will hold an edge.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for a new skinning knife

I have a folding buck knife that I have had for nearly 30 years. Many years ago I broke the tip off digging a slug out of a tree and since then it sat in a drawer. This year I sent it back to Buck knives under their lifetime warranty. The blade was replaced, no questions asked, and the turn around was pretty quick.

That being said I don't use a folding for cleaning deer because the slot in the handle collects crap and needs a good cleaning afterward. I just got a Grohmann GR1 which is their original design. It feels great in my hand and I look forward to using it for many seasons. I like the elliptical blade point (modified drop point)much better than clip point blade on the buck knife.

It wasn't as sharp as I would have liked out of the box, but I am real particular about how sharp my knives and broad heads are. I am not happy unless shave hair with very little effort. If you look around you can get it pretty reasonable.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Bob
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Wish I could help ya Jonathan. I have a big Gerber Gator that I like to use when I do it, but I hate to sharpen a Gerber. It doesn't take much of a knife just to skin.Mike uses those $1 disposable parring knives.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Spike

Ive always had very good luck with Kershaw Knives. Blade holds an edge well. It does take a while to sharpen due to the blade toughness.