Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Argo ATV??

Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Argo ATV??

These Argos are a little slower and larger then quads but they can go places quads wouldn’t even attempt.
Actually they are much slower and rougher riding than a quad.They can also be a problem in rocky or stumpy terrain due to low ground clearance and the large belly pan.They do however haul much more than a quad can.Another option is a quad with a track conversion.They will go virtually anywhere but don't float like an argo.They are also exceptional in deep snow.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

They will go virtually anywhere but don't float like a quad.They are also exceptional in deep snow.
Stubble, have you ever tried the quad with the set of tracks. I was just wondering how they are for handling and turning?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roseaukaine

Thanks guys - where I am located, swampy is a little decieving! Some places are like quicksand, overgrown ponds, ect. What worries me about the Argo is ground clearance and it's "toughness" in running over logs and small undesirable saplings up to 2" DBH. In some areas there are cypress knees, in others - many fallen trees from the hurricanes. I need something to help manage land, haul stuff around, manage ponds,andspray herbicides. I have a friend that has the 6x6 - and it's always broken (it was bought second hand - and gets abused by his kids ALOT). The investment for the 8x8 is around $15K - I wanted to make sure that the polyethylene body could hold up to a little abuse - especially on the underbelly.
If you buy the Big Foot package you will get skid plates ...I can assure the Argo is as tuff or tuffer then any ATV ...also if it won't get you to where your going ..you don't need to be there ...

dd
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only ridden one atv that was equipped with the track kit.It was absolutely amazing in deep snow.It was also very good in swampy conditions.It certainly does not turn as easy as a normal quad,but it isn't that physically demanding.The quad was a 450 honda.As to the durability of argo's,the older ones required continuous maintenance but the new ones are much better.Howevereven my outfitter friends new argocertainly has required more maintence than my quad.As long as they are chain drive,some maintenance will always be required.On the other hand,my honda quad requires almost no maintenance.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’m very curious on how the quads with the tracks handle. We have a Honda dealer that has quads set up with them just north of town. I’ll have to give them a try before all the snow is gone...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 AM

A guy at my last hunt club had one of the 8x8's. Great tool for the woods. As others have said, it's not as fast as an ATV, but how fast do you really need to go in woods? The one that I was in had a high and low speed gearbox, and in high speed it wasn't too terribly slow. It goes over a lot of stuff that you wouldn't think it could, and it's can pivot on a dime by driving forwards with one set of wheels and backwards with the other side. The tires held up well considering the cutovers and everything else that it routinely went over, but having a tire plug set or a spare wheel/tire combo with you isn't a bad idea. The good news if you get a flat though, is that youhave 7 other wheels already mounted to get you back home. No problems with the shell either, even going over stumps and such. It will haul 1 person just as well as it hauls as many people or as much equipment as you can pack in it. Strong engine, pretty decent on gas mileage. The only problem it had was getting high centered on ATV trails with deep ruts. It wasn't really a problem if you saw the ruts ahead of time and worked around them, but on that property the ruts were occasionally under water and the argo's ground clearance just isn't there. If you go with one, make sure to get a winch...it really comes in handy in situations like that. We've even used it to pull out a Dodge 1500 that was only 2wd and got stuck in mud.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Roseaukainewe have both types of vehicles here on the ranch I work on and they are both good. The Rhino is great for ruged terrain. I have literally had it turned on its side in a wash and still got out of it. The argos are great for swampy areas but they are slow. If you were to puchase one, get the most ground clearence you can get, due to the fact that they high center easily.