Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Walker's Game ear

Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Walker's Game ear

Does anyone use it and what do you think?

I have one that I got for a Christmas present years ago. It does amplify the sounds and put you on alert. But once as I was wearing it I heard the deer running, they were getting closer and I had no clue as to the direction they were coming from.(because humans need stereo or both ears topinpoint direction of sound) unlike a deer whose both ears swovel. Needless to say I learned a lesson and now when and if I'm wearing it I pull it out (I have it on a thread)so I can detect diret direction. Just wanted your imput.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Walker's Game ear

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing and that is why I went with the walkers muffs. There is no problem telling direction with these but it is impossible for me to judge distance with them. I've got a bad ear and without them it is hard for me to tell direction of sound anyway. So I don't know whats worse not knowing direction or distance.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried it here in FL, but the wind on the palmetto's
drove me crazy! Never used it again!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:16 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Walkers Game Ear and love it. If your picking up wind or your having a problem with direction, you've got it to loud. Lower the volume to equal yourear that does not have any hearing device. I was having the same problems until I talked to Bob Walker. Another thing I did was got a molded ear piece for the game ear and that's the only way to fly. Again lower your volume to equal your normal ear and you won't have any problems.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ctwny1

lower your volume to equal your normal ear and you won't have any problems.

Then why wear it?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 AM

"...Then why wear it?..." because they WILL protect your hearing that is why. That is THE most important reason to use them and is their primary job, not just increasing your hearing capability. I have 2 of the GEIIs and use them just about ALL the time, including while bowhunting. They DO take some getting used to for sure. I agree, they are lacking as far as being able to hear in specific directions, but at least I am on alert and ready to find the source rather than missing the animal or being surprised all of the sudden.

I bought them to replace muffs (standard) while shooting a big rifle of mine that has a muzzlebrake. But now I carry them all the time. The only other thing I plan on doing with them that I haven't done yet (I have had them for 5 years now) is having the custom ear pieces molded for them because they actually work better than the foam buds. I use one during turkey hunting just to hear long ranges and to get a better feel for how much the birds gobbled everywhere each morning. I can also hear them drumming 2 or3 times farther whilethey come in. Another "secret" I like touse them for while turkey hunting is listening for hens with a tom. I have killed more than one tom because I knew to shut up and justsneak in or at least keep from hammering him and causing the hens to carry him in the opposite direction from me.

I love em,
RA
Old 11-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

"...Then why wear it?..." because they WILL protect your hearing that is why.
RA

I wear Lee Sonic ear plugs![8D]Which are 100 times better than the Walkers!