Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Walker's Game Ear

Old 12-03-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Walker's Game Ear

First, let me start with this: Mods, sorry to post it in the "Bow Gear" area, but I posted this earlier in the "Hunging Gear" area and I don't think anyone even looked at it. I'm hoping to get a little more feedback from the bowhunters!

I'm thinking about picking up a Game Ear (Christmas gift for myself ). Any suggestions/feedback on either the original or the new digital?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walker's Game Ear

First let me say you would do well to do a search o the issue. Lots has been said in the past. Now I'll tell you my experience with them. I have a bout a 40% hearing loss and had to do something. I still don't hear them deer even with my $5100 digital hearing aids. I got two of the Game Ear II a couple years ago and can say that I hear hunting sounds much better. I'll never get the full use of them because I have to overcome my loss before experienceing any real gain. That being said, I highly recommend getting two of them. One will not do well. Things will be louder in one ear and not the other. Thus your brain gets two different signals. You will hav trouble knowing what you are hearing and where it is coming from. Many peole have trouble with direction and that is one reason why. They only have one. You hear in stereo, as you see in 3D. You can test this out before putting out the money. Spend some time, maybe a day, with an ear plug in one ear and see if you can decifer sounds. It's rough.
The Game Ear has a suppression circuit built in that shuts it down if sounds exceed a certain DB rating, such as the firing of a gun or plane flying over. This protects your ears from damage.
So, in summary do they work? For me they do because I can't hear a thing without them. There may be other devices on the market better. If so, I haven't found them yet.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a walker's game ear, but I very rarely use it. I don't like the fact that, by wearing it, I all of a sudden have better hearing in one ear, which in turn, I loose the ability to determine the direction of the sound that I am hearing. The human hearing works best in "stereo", where both ears are hearing at the same level, you give yourself a "bionic" ear, and you loose the ability to know where the sound is coming from. For example, plug one of your ears, now close your eyes, and have a friend in the same room make a noise and you try to figure out where your friend is standing, you can't do it. The Walkers game ear does let you hear things that you wouldn't other wise, but if you have no clue as to where the sound is coming from, what's the point? Now I have never used head phones, but I'd have to guess that they would be better.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 PM

Howler, how about I just buy yours for a couple of bucks?