Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Walker's Game Ear >

Walker's Game Ear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walker's Game Ear

Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Walker's Game Ear

Has anyone tried the Walker’s Game Ear?

The reason I ask…..is the biggest buck I saw all year, last year, snuck up on me while I was sitting down. By the time I heard him……there was no way I could have gotten into a position to shoot. It makes me wonder, ya know????

Just trying to see if anyone uses this.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Walker's Game Ear

From what I understand they have fantastic products and really do work however, when using the little ear models, you'll need two to distinquish direction. Wearing just one throws off your distinctions for directs to some degree. You'll hear'em coming, you'll just need to look around for the direction. This is especially important when listening to distant gobblers etc...

Many people prefer the ear muffs over the single ear models for that reason.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the muffs would be best. I've had them on dozens of times, at shows and such. They seem great. Haven't bought them yet though.

My biggest concern as an archery hunter is finding a consistant anchor with them on. Would definitely require lots of practice depending on your personal anchor point.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, just more crap I don't need to bring in the woods. My problem has never been hearing a deer, it's hearing a deer through all the "distractive" noises of the woods. The last thing I want to do is increase the noise level of insects, squirels, and chipmunks running around me.....
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of muffs that I wear when pistol hunting(yes I'm sorry, sometimes I put the bow down). I like the muffs and can hear and tell directions. I'd never wear them bow hunting, but that's your call.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

SBG,
I have a pretty bad hearing impairment (i wear 2 hearing aids) and after getting busted many times by deer I didn't realize were near me while I was hunting I ordered one the Walker's Digital Game Ears. I find it extremely effective in helping me know when a deer's walking up or hearinga gobble when I'm turkey hunting. I use my regular digital hearing aid in one ear and the Walker's Game Ear in the other. It is true that you need two hearing aids to hear "in stereo" thus giving you betterdirectional hearing. I bought the Walker's muffs many years ago (about 10)and wasn't impressed with them but I'm sure they have improved them by now. I had my hearing aid guy make a mold for my Walker's Game Ear to fit my ear perfectly and it works like a charm. Much better than the piece of foam that comes with the game ear. The reason I don't just use bothof my regular hearing aids is one of digital and one is not. The one that isn't digital does not "shut off" when I shoot a gun. Hope this helps.
Jay
Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have tried the muffs and they seem to get in the way when at full draw. Practice with them on before you go hunting. For me they don't work.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

im all for leaving extra crap home. i bought one several years ago and even though its only in one ear i was able to tell direction of sound. it is annoying to hear crickets and every other ambient and background noise but it did work well. i dont use it much anymore though mostly because i just forget to bring it. i can see it being great during turkey hunting though. maybe buy one of the cheapo knock off 10$ wally world versions to see if you lke the general idea.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the guys that don't want to carry so much stuff? There are those of us that almost have to use some type of hearing enhancement. If you ant to know what this is like then put ear plugs in your ears for a day of hunting and see how much fun it isn't.

Like jcpopejr I have about a 40% hearing loss. Therefore I need something to get back some of that loss in everyday life. My hearing aids take care of everyday life just fine, but they don't enhance enough the frequency range that rustling leaves and such are in.

I find the Walker's work just fine for this. I have the GE II's and need to turn them up almost all the way to gain some real enhancement that some of you guys hear with the ears in your head. It's also true that it pays to use two of them. Some guys have tried them and only used one and then complained that they don't work as advertised. Well, the truth is you hear with two ears just like you see with two eyes. Try this. Cover one eye with a patch and live your life for one day like this. See how bad your depth perception is. It very similar with the ears.

As for muffs, they can interfere with your anchor when bow hunting. They are also extra hot when the weather is warm. And a lot more bulky than ones that fit in your ear.

I know that the next set I buy will be the Digital-in-the-Ear. Considering how much money I piss away on lots of other gadgets at least this will be for something that does me some good.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM

i use the cheapies from wall-mart 10.00 i think thay work great for the price

Quick Reply: Walker's Game Ear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.