Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Rain Gear?

Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Rain Gear?

I was almost sold on the new Rivers West Camo... You know Guaranteed unbreakable! However, looking through my Cabela's and Bass Pro Catalogs I had a couple of there products also catch my eye. They had rain gear that they claim to be the best money can buy.. So I am in a pickle.. I am not sure what to get. I am stationed in the Western part of Washinton's Olympic Peninsula. Which gets more rain than anywhere else in the contenatal U.S. 150" plus a year... WOW that's a lot. So you can see my concern with wanting to be a Happy Hunter...Or dry for that matter.
Any help will be appreciated!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Best Rain Gear?

Muliefever. If you can afford it, I believ Fislon to be the beat rain gear available. The stuff is called tincloth. It is certanly not hightech. They have been making this stufffor 90years. It is an oilcloth or waxed cloth in heavey duty tanned duck. Wears like iron but not the lightest. Gets a little stiff in really cold weather, but will keep you dry.
I was in Colorado at a bluegrass festival in '04 and it rained for 4 days staight. very unusual for the rocky mountains. But all my firends got wet in thier goretex but I stayed bone dry in my filson. Plus the filson gear has a classic old style sportsman look to it.
But if you were doing some serious active hunting, it doesn't breath like goretex. So you may have more of a chance of sweating.
Check out www.filson.com
okcmco
Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM

When you are talking Pacific Northwest kind of rain, you have two choices. Helly Hanson or other PVC raingear or some sort of goretex. Neither is ideal, and neither will keep you completely dry.

The PVC stuff is truly waterproof, but you will sweat, so you will get damp on the inside. Goretex is good for a downpour, but if you are in it for days on end, the pores will eventually start to let a little water through, and you will get wet.

Up here in the fall, I have a gore tex jacket and helly hanson bibs, plus I usually wear wool. The best investment is the stormking MSR tent because that gives me a chance to dry out during the night.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have some Gore-tex clothing.. And some Dry-plus from Cabelas. However, I need something that is revolutionary! My buddy just bought the "Rivers West" System and he seems to love it. So I imagine that is what I will go with. As for okcmco, I have an old oil skin duster I wear when we work cows and stuff. It will keep you dry! However, I need something quite,and comfortable for all day bow hunting! Thanks for the input! Anymore takers?