Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Shotgun hog ammo

Old 12-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
As with any tool, understand how it works and use it properly and it's fine. Guns need to be patterned at specific yardages, and then those yardages have to be respected.

Buckshot gets a bad rap from people shooting too far with no idea what kind of pattern they are throwing.

-Jake
You are right, distance is the problem with buckshot a 50 yard shot with slugs is a piece of cake with buckshot it is a wounding shot. The reason I don't recommend buckshot is because most people don't know it's limitations, stretch shots and wound animals. Part of my qualification 3 times a year was with shotgun, both slugs and 00 buckshot. I know that after 25 or thirty yards, depending on the shotgun the pattern opens up substantially and lots of the shot is not in the kill zone. I can see no reason to advise someone I don't know and not know if they will take the time to pattern their gun at different ranges to find out where it is fatal and where it will not be, when rifled slugs are readily available. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with OT. 00 Buck is pretty lethal but only at closer range than most shots are taken on both deer and hogs. A rifled slug gun reaches out to well over 100 yds fairly accurately.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I can see no reason to advise someone I don't know and not know if they will take the time to pattern their gun at different ranges to find out where it is fatal and where it will not be, when rifled slugs are readily available. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

That's fair.

I was just saying.... Everything has it's limitations. Guys kill deer all the time with a pointy stick.

No deer or hog in it's right mind wants to take multiple .330 balls at 1200 fps, or whatever they come out at, to the vitals.

Just pointing out that it is effective when used properly. If guys were slinging arrows at running deer 75 yards away (like many do with 00 buckshot) you'd see allot of misses and injuries too.

But used properly it's a good option still...

but I see your point about not suggesting that.

And to the OP.... Big NO on the #4s. And I agree... A slug is your better option.

-Jake
Old 12-04-2021, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady "Black" has eight 00 pellets, leaves the barrel at 1600 fps and shoots a fairly tight group out to twenty-five yards. Supposed to be a defence round, but sounds like it may do the Job on varmints at reasonable distances.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That's fair.

I was just saying.... Everything has it's limitations. Guys kill deer all the time with a pointy stick.

No deer or hog in it's right mind wants to take multiple .330 balls at 1200 fps, or whatever they come out at, to the vitals.

Just pointing out that it is effective when used properly. If guys were slinging arrows at running deer 75 yards away (like many do with 00 buckshot) you'd see allot of misses and injuries too.

But used properly it's a good option still...

but I see your point about not suggesting that.

And to the OP.... Big NO on the #4s. And I agree... A slug is your better option.

-Jake
I get where you are coming from .33 caliber traveling at 1200 feet per second sounds impressive. I think if it a little differently, a 00 pellet weighs around 50 grains. A 22 lr weighs avg 45 grains and has about the same velocity. Sure the 00 has a larger cross-section but in all likelihood, it doesn't have much more mass or kinetic energy and is unlikely to penetrate as deeply as a 22 lr. Buckshot can spread a foot or more at 20 yards with a cylinder barrel. The way I think of it is, it is pretty feeble for large game unless you get lucky and hit something vital. If you can get all the pellets into what you are shooting at, which is unlikely at 35 yards, it might do the job with a little luck.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

if your intention is to use buckshot, get an Ithaca road blocker shotgun,
or similar 10 ga, that throws (18) 000 buck with every shot.
thats double the average 12 ga shot guns 2 3/4" shell load of 8-9 pellets,
doubling your potential for hitting the vitals
and yeah, try hard to limit the shots to about 35 yards max.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shots...-P108F+00.html

https://images.proxibid.com/AuctionI...ize/3668_1.jpg

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-14-2021 at 04:45 PM.