HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun hog ammo
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 05:48 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That's fair.

I was just saying.... Everything has it's limitations. Guys kill deer all the time with a pointy stick.

No deer or hog in it's right mind wants to take multiple .330 balls at 1200 fps, or whatever they come out at, to the vitals.

Just pointing out that it is effective when used properly. If guys were slinging arrows at running deer 75 yards away (like many do with 00 buckshot) you'd see allot of misses and injuries too.

But used properly it's a good option still...

but I see your point about not suggesting that.

And to the OP.... Big NO on the #4s. And I agree... A slug is your better option.

-Jake
I get where you are coming from .33 caliber traveling at 1200 feet per second sounds impressive. I think if it a little differently, a 00 pellet weighs around 50 grains. A 22 lr weighs avg 45 grains and has about the same velocity. Sure the 00 has a larger cross-section but in all likelihood, it doesn't have much more mass or kinetic energy and is unlikely to penetrate as deeply as a 22 lr. Buckshot can spread a foot or more at 20 yards with a cylinder barrel. The way I think of it is, it is pretty feeble for large game unless you get lucky and hit something vital. If you can get all the pellets into what you are shooting at, which is unlikely at 35 yards, it might do the job with a little luck.