HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun hog ammo
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
As with any tool, understand how it works and use it properly and it's fine. Guns need to be patterned at specific yardages, and then those yardages have to be respected.

Buckshot gets a bad rap from people shooting too far with no idea what kind of pattern they are throwing.

-Jake
You are right, distance is the problem with buckshot a 50 yard shot with slugs is a piece of cake with buckshot it is a wounding shot. The reason I don't recommend buckshot is because most people don't know it's limitations, stretch shots and wound animals. Part of my qualification 3 times a year was with shotgun, both slugs and 00 buckshot. I know that after 25 or thirty yards, depending on the shotgun the pattern opens up substantially and lots of the shot is not in the kill zone. I can see no reason to advise someone I don't know and not know if they will take the time to pattern their gun at different ranges to find out where it is fatal and where it will not be, when rifled slugs are readily available. That is my story and I am sticking to it.