Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

243 & hogs

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
For whatever it's worth, I have hunted Wild Hill a number of times in the past. I have seen just about every caliber used at one time or another. From .45ACP up to .338 Win Mag. It's not the gun, it's the shooter. Don't shoot through the shoulder, and you will be fine. Nothing, I repeat, Nothing survives a bullet through both lungs. Pick your shot, and have a ball.
When are you going?
Tell Bill Richter that J. Feller sends his regards.
I'll tell him you said hello.How do you like wildhill? I've read some positive things about it on this site.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerry d
I'll tell him you said hello.How do you like wildhill? I've read some positive things about it on this site.
With all the acreage he has, it is the closest I have seen to a truly free range hunt. Ask in advance to sleep in the main house, not the bunk house. Much better sleeping conditions. Semi private rooms.
I always ask that I be posted at an area where there are no fences visable. He is always willing to accomodate your wishes, unless it is a safety issue.
For your own safety, listen to what Bill tells you. Those piggies can hurt you if you give them the opportunity. The last time I was there, my buddy and I spent a hair-raising 5 minutes after we got ourselves in the middle of a group of about 10 that came to find out what the loud bang was all about. Like Bill said, re-load and freeze. We did, they left.
Like I said, when are you going? If you want some extra company, I will make the time to join you. I love that place.
e-mail [email protected] if you want more info.
Good luck
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm planning on going in the late fall or early winter. When I get a definate date I'll shoot you a PM. I would enjoy the company!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerry d
I'm planning on going in the late fall or early winter. When I get a definate date I'll shoot you a PM. I would enjoy the company!
Please let me know. I really do enjoy Wild Hill, and look forward to meeting you.
If you want to meet sooner, I am in Dutchess County, and my club has a number of rifle, pistol. archery, and trap ranges I can take you to.
Let me know, you have my e-mail.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

I've seen hogs go down and get back up and run away never to be found when shot with a 25-06, 270, and 7mm-.08. Some of these pigs were hit multiple times. I have never seen one get away from either a .308 or .30-06- although I have seen some need follow up shots. I know it's done successfully by lots of hunters but I feel like a .243 is too light for pigs. As for doing it with the .223, I've seen the videos on you tube and they are incredibly cruel and unusual. You might as well tie those pigs up and start cutting off their body parts while they're still alive- then the animal rights activists would really have something to complain about! If you want to use a .223 please make sure you also have a thirty round mag because your going to need it! I know head shots are different, but i personally would not want to limit my opportunity to harvest an animal to strictly taking head shots.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

The .270 win has been a swine death ray in my experience. Any centerfire in the hands of a capable shooter who knows where to put the bullet hes shooting will kill hogs. I personally dont believe in body shooting hogs under 200 yards, after 200 i try to hit em where i can.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
The .270 win has been a swine death ray in my experience. Any centerfire in the hands of a capable shooter who knows where to put the bullet hes shooting will kill hogs. I personally dont believe in body shooting hogs under 200 yards, after 200 i try to hit em where i can.

agreed,
if you have to shoot a pig twice with a .270 .25 or 7-08
you lack the basic skills of hunting, and shooting.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Even a behind the shoulder shot with 130 gr .27 caliber bullets usually rolls em up in their tracks for me, before i started handloading the 140 gr hornady sp in light mag ammo really put an azzwhoopin on em.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
agreed,
if you have to shoot a pig twice with a .270 .25 or 7-08
you lack the basic skills of hunting, and shooting.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, its nice to be supported for agreeing with the professional recommendation and sharing my own personal experience watching others shoot hogs. We can't all be Ivory Towers I guess.
Any cartridge will work if its a perfect shot-- that's not even worth saying. Hunting is seldom perfect. I have seldom seen a good first shot fail with any cartridge. It is the second, third, and fourth hog that is running that gives you trouble or the one that is already on the move and quartering. Many of the hogs that I've shot were on the move and required me to move with them to get into position. There is nothing basic about that type of hunting or shooting. It can be very difficult and challenging shooting-- that's why there is an Olympic sport based on it called the biathlon. At other times you can walk right up and just pop em. I think that is why I enjoy hunting them because every time I go I get a good variety of opportunities and it builds on my hunting and shooting experience. Hunting hogs I've had the opportunity to take every imaginable kind of shot from 5 feet to 300 plus yards, running, standing, feeding, etc. some very difficult and some very easy. Because of this I carry a rifle that will do anything I may choose to ask of it.
My point is that anything from .22 up through 7mm has been proven to kill when things are right but that a .30 will work better when things aren't. And things often aren't perfect.
The guide recommended a .30 because he knows from experience that it is the best killer under all possible conditions and angles and the surest bet to cover all bases without knowing the hunter's ability and experience. I agree with that recommendation because experience in the field has proven it true for me as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your shooting at running hogs dont blame the caliber thats just assanine.
Pulling the trigger on animal should be perfect ,if your spraying lead dont blame the caliber, thats not hunting thats shooting, or spray and pray.

I saw a less then pefect shot with my 7-08 loaned to a friend, he shot a hog in da face. knocked him down and out for good.
Ive put the same gun(caliber) through both shoulders plus 2 ribs in 2 ribs out on a big sow. Done that at least 25 times with a .243 as well. This 7-08 is my new caliber after 25 years with a .243
But I guess if spraying lead on hogs a .50 cal would be the way to go.
To me even a nasty ol hog deserves a quick clean death, no spray and pray or me, I pick my shots, if none available, Ill get him next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.