Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Shot Reaction?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shot Reaction?

Just curious, I was just walking around a couple of our fields right before dark yesterday with my rifle out of boredom. Well, I turn the corner of the treesand what do I see? Fourteen little piggies staring back at me . Well they didn't stick around to see what I was going to do, they all took off. I only got off two shots, they were about fifty yards from me, and probably thirty yards from the trees they were running to. The first shot send the lead piggy tumbling head over heels, and the second shot I'm not sure exactly what happened. I shot, the hog appeared to stutter step and he squealed real loud. He kept running and made it into the woods. I didn't find any blood or anything. From the reaction I described, does it sound like I got lead in the second hog?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot Reaction?

I've done that. Either you hit it real high or clipped a hoof.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot Reaction?

Bullet probably clipped it. Sometimes a hogshows little or no reaction to a solidhit, sometimes they do not even squeal. The hog just takes off or continues running like nothing happened.This is why it is important tocheck theroute the hog fortook for signs of a hit. Usually a hog will not bleed nearly as much as a deer. When they do bleed a lot they arenot going very far.By far the longest i ever tracked a wounded hogwas about 250-300 yards:That hog was shot over the left eye with a .22 LR bullet and bled profusely.Have foundwounded or dead hogs by just checking the route they took when hit.

After you shoot ahog and it falls over give it a little time. Sometimes a badly wounded hog will just lie there; giventimeitwill die. But if they hear a noise likea human voice they will take off and run until they fall over dead.