Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Charging hog.  has anyone really ever been charged. >

Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Bigboar
He looks like he could have done some damage. The only danger I have ever been in was while tieing them up. Got hooked a few times while straddling them. I had on snake guards so I never got cut. If I would not have had them on, I would have been opened up.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been charged, had several hogs turn and face when going in to catch them and had a lot of them run past, around me when there are several bayed but that is about it. One of the guys I hunt with had a boar knock him off of a sow he was trying to tie but that is it.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have been charged! It wasa boar that was gut shut and was laying there waiting to die. I walked to him and he got the boost to turn his body, chopping his teeth and ran towards me. I do agree that a hog will usually take the escape rather than charge, but this boar turned and made eye contact with me (about 15 yards away). I was able to get a round in his head and he slid to within 5 feet of me dead.

Sorry fella's but I'm not buyingwhat you said about steppingto the side when a hog is charging you and laying in a field with a rubber band or what ever you do, "Steve Erwin". I live in an area of Texas where we have a astronomical amount of wild hogs. I have seen people charged, know people hospitalized by wild hogs and again been charged myself. My cousin was watering his cows and charged by a sow with babies.

Whether you think they are charging or just running by you scared, I'm not going to be the moron to verify that he is or aint charging me. "he's not chargingjust trying to run by me to get the heck out of Dodge.... I'll just shoot him with my BB gun when he goes by". keep trying that and you'll get got. Let me know how it turns out Tarzan!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ive dealt with these critters for most of my life. Im 36 years old and have yet to be "charged" by a boar. It isnt because of a lack of hunting. I go out just about every week. Im prettychoosey in what I shot, so I dont harvest but 6 to 10 a year. Ive hunted them with dogs and knives, guns, pistols, and bows. I have even layed out in the field with them in the dark, while they were rooting up wind of me. Ive walked out and slaped them in the butt when they were feeding in an area I was deer hunting. I have had hogs run in my direction, which looked like they were charging, but I simply step to the side, let them run past, and hit them with an arrow. I have had them cornered with dogs in a wash out. Agian, no charge. Im just curious if anyone has realy been charged. Please share your stories.
Yea, I have only shot two, and got charged twice. Dogs were baying them in a corner, and they ran right us. My brother and friends were taping, and were laughing at me for dropping my bow and running, but when I got home to watch the tape, all I saw was me getting ready to shoot and then the camera showd the ground. They all ran before me.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dhamner

Whether you think they are charging or just running by you scared, I'm not going to be the moron to verify that he is or aint charging me. "he's not chargingjust trying to run by me to get the heck out of Dodge.... I'll just shoot him with my BB gun when he goes by". keep trying that and you'll get got. Let me know how it turns out Tarzan!

Hey dkh, just over look his post. Burnie drinks "Lone Star" long necks and probably had one to many when he posted this.
[/align]
Old 03-28-2006, 04:22 PM

heck i've got video proof of that hogs will charge, i was gettin some footage of the dogs bayin a nice med sized boar when he broke bay and came right at me, i didn't climb just stepped behind the tree and watched him pass with dogs catchin him the whole time
Old 03-28-2006, 05:14 PM

I think were all starting to come from different angles and the lines are getting crossed. I don't think anyone here would argue the bayed situation. I even state that in the article I wrote. If a hog is out of options, obviously he is going to charge.......I would, but under "still hunt" circumstances, it is going to be a rare occasion. The high energy stressful situation of a pack of dogs is going to trigger the primortal instincts, that is without question. Wounded, bayed or anything else that triggers the "going for broke mentality" is gonna be a problem, but under normal spot and stalk circumstances, they will most times take the route that offers a dignified retreat.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Wounded, bayed or anything else that triggers the "going for broke mentality" is gonna be a problem, but under normal spot and stalk circumstances, they will most times take the route that offers a dignified retreat.

True, very true! If you don't provoke them they usaly leave you alone, but you always have a boss hog or a piggy sow that's going to show youwho's boss!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dkhamner

Sorry fella's but I'm not buyingwhat you said about steppingto the side when a hog is charging you and laying in a field with a rubber band or what ever you do, "Steve Erwin". I live in an area of Texas where we have a astronomical amount of wild hogs. I have seen people charged, know people hospitalized by wild hogs and again been charged myself. My cousin was watering his cows and charged by a sow with babies.

Well you havent tried it. Im with these critters on a daily basis. I live with these critters. Knox county. My land is in Kent county, so I see lots of hogs. I shot a 250 lber out of my back door one day. This last weekend I set out in a field they come into and layed around listing for them to come in. Once I hear them Ishine thelight on them and see what is around. Many times i have had them walk right past me. So you are telling me you have spent much time with these things? Have you ever hunted them with dogs? Have you ever traped them? If so, you know what im talking about in my first post. I have actually gone out with some kids around here that will trap them and go out with ropes and rope the little ones that refuse to leave the traped ones. If you call that Tarzan, then I guess we are. We tie up lots of them and take them to the buyers.

As for Bigboar, he is very credible. I believe every thing he posts.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

After reading all the posts I get the feeling there are those who feel im refuting the fact that hogs charge. Please reread my post. I stated, I have never been charged. My main method of hunting is spot and stalk. I have traped and run dogs. Still never charged. Agian, take note of my post, I said "Share your stories". Sounds like im being curious.Little lost on what yall are reading.But then agian, ive really never seen a hog before. I know nothing about them. A matter a fact, I know nothing about hunting either. I really dont live in the country with tuns of these guys around. I really live in a city where the only pig I haveever seen was at the zoo. Please disregeard my post. Good grief.

By the way, this is a figment of my imagination. This guy ran at me, I stepped to the side. He ran out to about 35 yards, stopped to look around to see what spoked him, and I arrowed it. If you have never seen a hog do that, you have not spent much time with them. Or at least that is the dream I had. I got a cool camera you can take pictures of your dreams.

Quick Reply: Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.