Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 sausage spice recipies, let's hear them! >

sausage spice recipies, let's hear them!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

sausage spice recipies, let's hear them!

Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Default sausage spice recipies, let's hear them!

I am ready to start grinding up some sausage but was wanting to hear what you all use for spices in your sausage. I know some of you older folks have had a lot of eperience in perfecting a good recipie during your lifetime. So if you don't mind letting your secrets out for all the world to see, i'd like to try a few.

Igrew up on a hog farm but we didn't butcher our own. My grandparents did when they were my age but they don't remember what they used or what their fathers used. Some of the people I have asked that I thought would have a good recipe said that alot of the old timers kept it a secret and went to the grave with it.

Thanks for all
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Default RE: sausage spice recipies, let's hear them!

same here, all I know said they would rather give you there wife first.

I have tried several that came down with the families and weren't really all that good.I have a book with a bunch of different one also.same results.

I make a lot every year several 100's of lbs.made a little over 400 lbs. this year.got about another 125 lbs. to make in another week.

I use AC Leggs Old Plantation Smoked Sasuage Seasonings. or the fresh sasuage seasonings.they are about the best I have found.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

We make Italian sausage by adding salt, pepper, fennel seed, some garlic powder and if you want it hot, some cayenne pepper too. The processor uses some thing like the AC Leggs seasoning also so it has some seasoning when we start.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Beef, Pork and Deer Sausage Seasonings. We Carry Witts, AC Legg ...
Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM

I ended up using some black peper, salt, garlic, cayenne, and some cerole seasoning (spelling). A friend from work said he has used it before so hope it turns out well. Still have not tasted it yet.

Thanks rebel hog, that was a pretty good website that seemes to sell nice products. I think I will give them a call next hog I bring home. Right now my freezer is packed with pork from the last few months. I need to get a dedicated game freezer because my wife is getting pissed that there is no space for other stuff!

thanks again all
Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had the old meat man on my favorites for quite a while.. Good stuff.

I also use a mix for breakfast sausagemade right here in Burleson Texasby Clifco Sausage Seasoning, I add a lot of crushed red pepper equal amount of hog and venison... and hang on to your taste buds, cause it's a party in your mouth!!! It's the best I have ever found for breakfast sausage...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Well,I cooked up some of my firstwild hog sausage tonight. It was pretty darn good. Just a tad hot, spicey wise. I like spicey but some folks don't. The flavor was great though.A friend from work whohelped me out used his recipe and it turned out great as I said before.This definitally will not be my last batch of sausage I make up from wild hog.

thanks all