Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Bedding the stock on my 700ADL >

Bedding the stock on my 700ADL

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Bedding the stock on my 700ADL

Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I got it all put back together and can't wait to shoot it. Probably Monday when I take my daughter out to shoot her Henry 22 lever action that Santa is bringing. While I had it stripped down I decided to upgrade the scope mounts and rings. I took off the cheap see through scope rings and put on Warne bases and rings. I put my bore sighting laser on last night and it is sitting at dead center left and right but in the 300 yard ring of the BDC. I'm going to leave it there until I can shoot it.

When I put it back together, I bent the rear pin that hold in the trigger housing. I mess with it for about 3 hours trying to figure out why the bolt release button wouldn't spring back to the normal possition after being pressed. It was because the bent pin was binding. I flipped the pin around and it is working better but not like it was. I just called Remington to order a new pin and they won't sell me one because I don't have an FFL. Yes a freaking FFL for a freaking pin!!! Because it is part of a trigger assembly. Stupidest thing I have heard of! A freaking pin!!!! Now I have to have an FFL order me one and pay about 3 times what it cost. The good news is it is operational the way it is. I have before pictures of target so I'll post them and some after the bedding job pictures once they are made.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thinking about it after my last post, I think I'm going to measure the pin with my calipers, buy round stock and make my own pin. I may even blue it.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

It must be a Remington thing because I just bought the pin from Brownells. Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

...... I was just gonna tell you to go to Brownell's....
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I took her out shooting on Sunday and I'm happy. I didn't get to shoot it as much as I would have liked. My main priority for the trip was to let my daughter shoot her new Henry. She was all smiles and loves her new gun. I do think my accuracy improved a little but it will take more shooting to come to a solid conclusion. I got the pin in from Brownells and changed it yesterday so that is good to go.

I shot a few test loads while I was out. It's amazing the difference that different powders make. Months ago I had tried some Sierra 125 Pro Hunters with Varget and IMR 4350 with the best group I could get were 3 1/2 inches. I shot off 4 shot with the 125 gr. PH and 48 gr. of IMR 4064 and was in awe. Two shots were touching, 3rd bullet went through the same hole as the first shot, and the 4th shot was about 3/4 inch away. I also shot a few shots through my new chronograph. I was surprised to see that the volocities were about 125 fps less then the published load data.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I do think my accuracy improved a little but it will take more shooting to come to a solid conclusion.

I also shot a few shots through my new chronograph. I was surprised to see that the volocities were about 125 fps less then the published load data.
The bedding may help accuracy, maybe not. It will definately help with consistency considering the range of conditions in which you shoot in Colorado. You should experience less change of POI with weather conditions, tight sling use, and firing from rested positions.

Chronographs are required equipment for good load development. It is pretty funny to hear some guys talk about their long range skills (like head shots on elk at 400 yards) when they don't really know the velocity and deviation of their loads. Published data is never developed at 20 degrees, and rarely with standard chambers and barrels.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
The bedding may help accuracy, maybe not. It will definately help with consistency considering the range of conditions in which you shoot in Colorado. You should experience less change of POI with weather conditions, tight sling use, and firing from rested positions.

Chronographs are required equipment for good load development. It is pretty funny to hear some guys talk about their long range skills (like head shots on elk at 400 yards) when they don't really know the velocity and deviation of their loads. Published data is never developed at 20 degrees, and rarely with standard chambers and barrels.

The little I played with the chrono on Sunday, I can see where it will be a valuable tool. LOL! He will never live that one down, which he shouldn't.