Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking For Good Rifle >

Looking For Good Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking For Good Rifle

Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking For Good Rifle

I agree with Sako. Selling a Rem. 700 for a Weatherby is a step down in my book. You want better, check out Sako.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been buying Remington rifles since 1967. The last one I bought that I have used quite a bit was a 2002 model 700. The first group out the barrel was under 4/10 inch at 100 yards. Thats what I expect from a 700.
Out of 25 or so they have all deliverd. Now My Sako rifles shoot well but I will never again pay that kind of money for a rifle that in the field will not outperform a 400.00 Remington. The last one I bought was a few weeks ago when I picked up a new 270 700 ADL Synthetic for 329.00 on close out. I have not shot it yet but I will bet that it shoots under one inch the first time out. Those are three shot groups which is all I ever use to test a hunting rifle. I hear a few bad things about Remington quality but so far I have not seen it yet. If I ever do then I might knock them too.

Of course I don't give a hang about fancy and pretty. I expect dependability and accuracy. The guys at Remington have always provided just that. By reading the poll on this site, I see that I am far from the only Remington supporter here. Good Luck with your new selection. When I shoot the new 270, good or bad I will post the results.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 AM

I own both Sako's and Wby's - both are very good. I've had a hard time doing load development for the Wby's, that long freebore can be tricky. I shoot factory ammo in the Wby's - it's excellent.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

James B... When you buy a sako you purchase a scope and rings and take it out shooting. You can go anywhere in the world without it breaking down. It has a better designed stock then any remington a3 lug action and perfect handling characteristics. IE it is a real gun. No fiddling with bedding, cheap stocks,trigger adjustments . Just take it out and go shooting. Like comparing a Hyundai with a Mercedes. I own NEF,Marlin,Winchester,Remington,ruger,Weatherby and they take a back seat to it.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone has their complaints about one rifle or another. It's up to you what you consider the details you need in a rifle. The one comment I have is if you're set on a Mark V then buy it. I would look to the Mark V Fibermark synthetic and not the Mark V synthetic. The Fibermark will cost more but you get a true fiberglass reinforced stock and not a plastic injection molding. Other than that everthing else is the same. If you buy the synthetic & don't like the stock you will end up spending more to put a quality aftermarket stock on it. The Weatherby will come with an accuracy guarantee so I don't think you will really get a lemon.

I do agree with most others. The amount you will spend on a Weatherby I would rather spend on a Sako.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

OEH. I know Sako are good rifles. Like I said I have two of them. Being retired though, they are far to much money for a tool to get a job done. I have 10 NEF rifles. The one I use the most is a 26 inch barreled 280 with a 3x9 Swift Pemier scope. I bought it used (Combo) for 195.00 plus tax. I would and HAVE taken that rifle all over the U.S. and Canada hunting big game. I did send it in to NEF for a free trigger job but that was a minor off season project. I will have 483.00 plus tax into the new 270 Remington with the 4x12 Swift Pemier scope on it. I can adjust a Remington trigger in about 15 minutes and Have never had any other problem or ever had to send or take a Remington in for repairs. I had to glass bed one out of about 25 700 Remingtons and that was because I had it rebarrreled to a different caliber after shooting out the orignial barrel..

For those to whom money is no object, its fine to spend that Sako level money for a tool to do a job. I can do that same job for a mighty small fraction of that money. Being retired I find it important to spend my tool allowance a bit more sparingly. A rifle to me is just that, A tool.