Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Want to buy a good rifle and need help !!! >

Want to buy a good rifle and need help !!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Want to buy a good rifle and need help !!!

Old 08-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Want to buy a good rifle and need help !!!

Hi guys, I'm Looking to buy a new riffle instead of my old Lee enfield..

I'm gonna use this rifle for Moosehead and also Deer..
I took a look on a lot of rifles and really don't know what brand to choose.
What I know is that I will surely take a 30-06 cal. (or any other that you will suggest!!!).

I'm hesitating on -Tikka T3 Lite or Laminated (both stainless)
-Winchester M70 CLassic Super Grade
-Remington 700 BDL SS

If possible help me to choose a right one that you know is really accurate. and will last for a long time.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Want to buy a good rifle and need help !!!

I am looking for a rifle too, and here great things on the Tikka....i thik that is the one i am going with
Old 08-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

All are good choices, it will boil down to fit and feel. Go to your local shops and hold the rifles of interest. What most find is one just feels right in their hands, shouldered and in function, if you find them all suitable then buy the one that is most pleasing to your eye and in features you want in your next rifle.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:22 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I like savage rifles. The new ones have that awesome accutrigger. Wish I had waited till the accutrigger came out to buy mine. I've also seen some very nice performance from a friend's weatherby vanguard. I like the composite stocks because hunting rifles can really take a beating. Usually when I get home, I'm tired and don't feel like messing with my rifle any more than I have to.

David
Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 AM

None of these will disappoint you. All are fine choices. So is the caliber you have in mind. It would be hard to argue with an '06 if a person wants one rifle to last and be versatile.

Your choice will have to come down to personal preferences. Get catalogs from all three manufacturers and look at the different variations. Do you want detachable magazine, swinging floorplate, blind mag, etc. Which safety config. do you like? Which one has the eye catching appeal to you? No one can answer this for you. Go to the gun shop and handle all three. One will stand out. Buy it.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:45 PM

ditto to what others said.

other guns that you might want to look at 270,280,7mm mag,300 win,35 whelen and others.

if you can find a good 280 it would be perfect! i know ruger offers a couple rifles cambered for it and others do as well i am just not sure on the makes.

good luck
Old 09-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am partial to Rugers myself. In particular the Model 77 Mk II All Weather. They are built to last.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently bought a Tikka T3 hunter in .308 Win (wood & blue steel light, crisp trigger and good accuracy. Tikka's are lightweight and that is popular for many. They will let you know when you fire them. I may get a varmint in that rifle, too.

I am seeing and hearing about production problems with current Remingtons. Was looking at rifles at Scheels and the boss dog wouldn't recommend one right now. Sorry.... I've owned several in the past that were good.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:53 PM

You'll like the Tikka T3. Trigger really feels like a custom trigger job right out of the box. They guarrantee 1" or better at 100 yds and in my gun, it far exceeds that. Great smooth bolt. It is just a great deal and a good shooter.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:20 PM

I have a BDL and i really like it. But i was at Cabelas today and somebody was buying a Tikka T3 with a composite stock and a stainless barrel and it looked like a really nice gun. But you defenitly cant go wrong with the BDL.