Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Elk rifle?

Old 10-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default Good Elk rifle?

I am looking for a good elk muzzleloader. Any suggestions? I would like one that is accurate out to two hundred yards, more or less. I currently have a CVA sidelock and i was hoping to find a good inline. Price isnt really a deciding factor for me, i am more interested in quailty without spending an arm and leg. Do you guys think 54 cal is better than 50 cal for elk. What will that do to long range trajectory. Also i will have to be shooting open sights. What gun do you guys recomend? Reliable too.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:19 PM

Default RE: Good Elk rifle?

I would look at a t/c thunderhawk in 54 cal. I do own one and gun shoots excellent,well made but remember they are a discontinue model
The t/c omega is another great choice but it is a 50 cal. but with to day sabots the gun should do excellent in 50 cal.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

200 yards with open sights will take a lot of practice, no matter what rifle you get. The .54 caliber might be a better choice but as Lonewolf said, they are going to be hard to find. With a sabot or big conical the .50 caliber will do the job.

Seeing your from Colorado I am guessing that sabots are out of the question also. For this reason you are going to want a quality long range shooting concial rifle.

The first and best one that comes to mind is a White Rifle. The Super 91 or some of the new ones in .504 caliber will throw that 460 grain No Excuses concial accurate to as far as you can hold it. White Rifles and concial seem to have a real love affair.

Some other options would be a custom type rifle. My Renegade with a .58 caliber GREEN MOUNTIAN barrel is accurate to 100 yards but with open sights I would not try a 200 yard shot. They do make Green Mountain barrels in faster twist and .54 caliber. Whether it is a conical shooter, who knows.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 PM

t/c firehawk, s/s inline 54ca, gd cond, $100 firm Stillwater, NY (518) 584-7104
I seen this add posted to-day on a another forum don't no what shape it is in sound like a great deal
Old 10-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know that you can find a better one than this for the price. I have two of these both in 50's a 24" barrel and a 26" barrel, both excellent guns. Shoot really accurate. The only other thing I would suggest is to eliminate the Remington 209 ignition system and purchase the Canadian kit from Cabelas - super fine gun

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Old 10-14-2004, 02:42 PM

I just purchased a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 cal and flintlock, and I highly recommend the "Great Plains Hunter" version because of the peep sites available and the fast 1-32" rifling. Click the "Black Powder" button at this site: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/

It is an excellent rifle, and the "Hunter" version of this rifle has a fast 1-32" rifling for conical bullets. The Hunter model comes drilled and tapped for their special blackpowder tang site, which is basically a peep site, which should qualify as open sites and give you the kind of accuracy you need out to at least 200 yards if not better. I say that because US Army M16s come with peep sites and we routinely busted pop-up targets out to 300 yards. You will have to order the sites extra, but it would be worth it.

The Great Plains Hunter is available in either percussion or flint, so take your choice. A .54 caliber is definitely preferred for elk sized game, and maxis, minis, and sabot-styled bullets give maximum energy retention past 100 yards (of course).

My rifle (Great Plains Rifle) has the 1-60" rifling designed for patched round balls, but I purchased it so I could also obtain the "replacement" barrel which only has the 1-32" rifling. This way I can have a barrel for either type of projectile. Way cool![&:]

Kenneth
Old 10-14-2004, 02:50 PM

hey; I HAVE A NEW GPR IN A 50 CAL. 1 IN 32 TWIST IF YOU KNOW OF ANY ONE INTERESTED IN ONE PERCUSSION R/H FACTORY IN BOX
MY E MAIL [email protected]
Old 10-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Check out http://octobercountry.com/products2.php?categoryid=394 for a great price on the Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle.

Kenneth
Old 10-14-2004, 04:40 PM

you can do much better at MID-SOUTH
Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: lonewolf5347

you can do much better at MID-SOUTH
You're right, that is a good price. They have a good price on the extra barrels too, and I think I'll buy the Hunter barrel from Mid-South!

Kenneth

Quick Reply: Good Elk rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.