Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how to carry a gun to the shooting range >

how to carry a gun to the shooting range

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to carry a gun to the shooting range

Old 04-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Default how to carry a gun to the shooting range

Hi my dad has a handgun and we have been wanting to shoot it for a few years now. I was wondering how we can take it to a local shooting range. Do we need a permit from the police saying where we're taking it and when it will be back. Its .32 calibre semiautomatic if I'm not mistaken. Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Default RE: how to carry a gun to the shooting range

In ohio,all you need to do is keep gun and ammo seperated.gun in trunk, ammo in back seat.don't transport ammo and gun together.if you do it's consider conceal carry.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Us git-r-dones down here in Florida kow how to take care of business. You can carry your gun loaded, but you have to have like 3 "steps" to shoot. saftey is 1, opening glovebox is 2, and usually your holster is step 3. Props to Gov Bush for signing the new bill or whatever this past week in reference to guns. that's 1 for the good guys. 1 less for the bad guys.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trout dudes....

The best source for answers to this kind of question is the NRA. Here is the appropriate link.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx

Scroll down and click on your state. This should give an answer to the majority of your questions. However once you understand the general laws I would advise you to contact a local legal profesional to confirm your understanding.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:38 AM

Texas. I take my pistol to the Range atleast a few times a month. Sometimes it in a hard case, sometimes its just in my Tact-holster. They know your not goin crazy if your at the range. I have found that being honest with the cops is all most of them realy want; if you get pulled over. Just tell them its in the car not loaded and your on the way to the range. Contrary to popular beleif they arnt gonna arrest you and haul you to jail. They cant its the LAW. I carry at any one time 2-5 guns in my vehicle and i have never had a problem.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:40 AM

PS, get the phone book or call Information in your area. Call the ATF they are MORE than helpfull with everything and not gonna lie to you. I call the ATF for a few bits of info now and again and they are always helpful.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:39 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding i live in saskathchewan, canada.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what the laws are up there. In ND you can carry it anywhere as long as it is not concieled. I have a Concieled carry permit thats good in both Dakotas and eleven other states as I recall. AS someone above said we can check with the NRA for local laws.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trout first off your dad will require a special permit from the CFC to possess a hand gun. You can do some searchs on the CFC website: www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca to find out if it falls into a restricted or prohibited weapon classification....this is something I can not answer very accurately so I would check the website first or dad can call the police to find out what would be required. Also here the only way you can own a handgun is for recreation, this means must be members of a handgun club/range.

All the storage/transport/etc rules apply the same as with hunting rifles/shotguns.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM

To carry a gun, or any other object, you must follow these directions:

1. Secure object in hands
2. Put one foot forward, continuing to secure object
3. Proceed with one foot, then the other, etc.
4. Continue until you reach destination

Sorry, I know I'm being a smart aleck. I just couldn't resist the temptation. [8D]