Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifle comparison >

rifle comparison

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle comparison

Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Default rifle comparison

Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm looking at buying a new 30-06 bolt action rifle soon. Narrowed my search down to:

A- Winchester Model 70
B- Savage, not sure of model. it's at Sports Authority.

Both are comparable rifles. same price, both synthetic stocks which I like, both come with a scope. Has anyone had any problems with either rifles? Preferences?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rifle comparison

toy, let me give you one to look at a charles daly it is a mauser 98 action with a sys stock it run about 339.00 and they shoot great. I have one in 270 and at 100 yards 3/4 inchs groups. there is nothing wrong with eather gun the savage or the winchester the savage will shoot a tighter group out off the box than the winchester will. just my 2 cents
Old 04-27-2005, 07:42 PM

Toy4x4runner,
Both of the rifles you mentioned are fine. Handle them both and find which one feels best to you. I lean toward Savage because you absolutely will not find a more accurate rifle out of the box. They also have the accu-trigger which is awesome. The Savage is not nearly as nice to look at the Winchester but I'm betting it'll shoot the pants off it. In any case, find which one fits you best and buy that one.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM

my friend was tellingme about a charles daly he wanted me to look at too. He also said something about charles daly getting bought out, and he doesn't know how they are now... I Just want to do some research and get a good reliable gun at a fair price. I held the Savage today. Pretty nice gun. I haven't held the Win yet. the win is like $21 cheaper, but that's not really a factor. I'd like to buy this rifle latter this summer, so I'm looking now. This is my 1st post on the forum. Pretty nice place. I think I'll stick around.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

Either rifle will serve you well. However, I recommend against most package rifles that come with scopes. Just buy the rifle and put your own scope on it. The scopes that come with package deals aren't worth having. You'll probably have to pay nearly what you paid for the rifle to get a good scope, but you won't regret it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most scope packages are not of the best quality but you can buy a darn good scope for 200.00 or less.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

Let me give ya my 2 pennies

Both are nice rifles. You'll be fine either way you go.

In my opinion the best low cost hunting rig is a Savage Rifle w/ an AETEC scope. You can put it together for well under $500 and it will serve you well for a long long time.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:46 AM

my opinion the best low cost hunting rig is a Savage Rifle w/ an AETEC scope.
I absolutely agree. That rifle/scope combo is the best low-cost rig there is. I would be tempted to use a Bushnell Elite 3200 series as well, but there's no moss on the Aetec.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:55 PM

My .02. The new Mod 70's are terrific. New technology has enabled Winchester to build them better than even the pre 64 models. Forget the scope and mounts that come with them....they are aweful. Get some Burris bases and signature rings and put a 3x9 Burris fullfield II on it with the balistic Plex reticle. Natchez has them on sale now for 169. You won't be sorry. Regards, Rick.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are plenty of inexpensive scopes that would work well on the 06, my personal preference on the less expensive side would be a Bushnell Banner or Trophy. When it comes to glass you get what you pay for. I usually try to stay in the $200 ballpark. Stay away for Tasco ( now made by Bushnell ), Simmons ( except for the Aetec ) and BSA. I have a few Leupolds, Bushnell Elite 3200 and Nikons completely satisfied with all.

Quick Reply: rifle comparison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.