Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Shooting Range >

New Shooting Range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Shooting Range

Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Shooting Range

Well today was raining again, (we need it so no complaints) so I had to figure out something to do inside. I decided it was time to build my bullet trap. So I dug some white cedar out of the garage, and some old posts and went at it.

I had already set the platform out in the woods, so after building the trap all I had to do was install it. I kind of forgot how heavy all that steel and wood can get, but we got it up on the platform, set and anchored.

The trap is on top of a 1/4 inch steel plate which is bolted to the support posts and then braced. The back steel is 3/4 inch fire hardened plate steel. When I tore the old trap apart I was shocked at the pile of lead in there.

All I have left to do is fill the base with sand so that it will act as a buffer and catch the lead. The trap is made with some old 4x4 posts and some cedar 2x6 I made from trees cut off my property. So I can finally test it soon...

This chunk of lead came out of the old sand trap. When you examine it, you can see the different layers of lead bullets all slammed into each other. Kind of interesting.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Shooting Range

cayugad,I bought a hunting property and it has a railroad grade [thats all thats left of an old 1800's narrow gage railroad] running through it.I intend to build an archery range along the sides and a gun range down the top to the curve. How deep should the sand be in my back stop? Lee
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

This trap will run 32 inches of dirt. I find the bullets are splattered but they do stop in there. That sounds like a perfect bullet trap you will have there. If I had a good steep burm on the property I would build into the side of that. I even thought of having a load of dirt just dumped somewhere and build a shooting station into that.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a cut bank on a curve that I will cut into and build up with my back hoe, but I want to have a set up where I can recover bullet to see how they open .I will use jugs of ballistic jell or wet saw dust but if it goes on through. Building your own range is more fun than I though it would be,I turned around yesterday and there was a wobble knee fawn standing on the edge of the woods watching me. Lee
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I was riding my ATV through the National Forest last week and had a black bear CUB cross the road in front of me. Needless to say, we stopped andturned around and went the other way before Momma came along and decided she did not like the idea of me near her young one. Also I expected a second cub to cross with Mom close. You never know what you will come across when riding in the woods...

I like the idea of wet saw dust. Especially since I have get all the wet wood chips I could carry from one of the local mills. Something to think about.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Nice looking trap, Dave - I assume that's at the new 100 yd distance?
I know you can hit it, but can you hit one of those holes in the back?

IM jaybe

Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jaybe

Nice looking trap, Dave - I assume that's at the new 100 yd distance?
I know you can hit it, but can you hit one of those holes in the back?

IM jaybe

I used my range finder and shot that distance using the reflective metal to shoot, and can now get over 100 yards. As for the concials getting through a hole, I hope not. When them big conicals get past the trap they tend to do a lot of damage. I was back further in to the woods the other day and there are trees 60 yards or more back in there, shot clean through by a muzzleloader projectile. You look at the holes and they lead right back to the muzzleloader target area. These things as we all know have power but I think some do not realize just how powerful these rifles throw a projectile.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Cayugad... Would a 5 gallon bucket with wet sand in it stop a 54cal PRB with around 90gr powder? I want to shoot a 5 gallon bucket with a roundball and dig it out to see what the ball looks like. I figure the plastic may symbolise bone.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

take a bucket fill it with sand, then water it down. Be sure and put something over the top so when you lay the bucket down on it's side the sand stays in there. I really am not sure if it will stop the roundball or not, but it seems like a good experiment. Let us know how well it works...
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is the roundball will wind up right in the middle of the bucket. I think he means to shoot through the plastic wall of the bucket?

Quick Reply: New Shooting Range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.