Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow >

Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow

Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow

Howdy,
I have a couple of questions;

[ol][*]What branddo you guys use for range finders? Not looking to go over the top, something good and weather proof.[*]When heading out to the field, do you use a strap on your X Bow like a gun forover the shoulder or do you just carry it? I wonder as with a Turkey Vest on does it work?[/ol]
Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow

I sling my bow like a gun, over my shoulder. Works fine with a turkey vest, most of the crossbow weight is up high anyways.
Rangefinders, big jump from plain to "weatherproof" when it comes to cost. I mounted mine and if the weather is less than perfect I slide a plastic sheet over it and simply change the way I carry it.
This is the bottom of the barrel Bushnell, works great. It is mounted to a rangefinder mount invented by one of our members here and now produced by Excalibur, works on any scope, gun or bow. I modified mine a bit to add a remote switch.

I even put one on a varmint rifle..

One has to wonder though, does the inventor of this wonderful device actually use one himself?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Nikon 440. Shoots through mesh in blinds and a lot of higher end ones won't. I use a regular sling to carry mine. Looking into this for carrying my xbow.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Leica 900 is the best I've ever used. It's expensive ($450) and IMO worth it after using the Nikon for 3 years. The difference is amazing. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I use a shoulder strap with it so it's always right under my arm for instant use. I never go in the woods without it whether I'm hunting or not because the optics are so good I actually use it instead of my binoculars which saves me from having to carry yet another peice of equipment with me. I like "simple" and efficient and can't see myself stacking all that stuff (big scope and range finder)on top of an already heavy crossbow[:@]Just my opnion :-)

As to how to carry a crossbow, after a lot of experimenting I settled on this method. With the quiver mounted on top in line withe the crossbow's barrel, the bow isdown instead of the typical up position. Thereare no bow limbs sticking out over my shoulder to snag brush, etc. Much more comfortable to carry this way.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM

I gather from the posts that most guys do not carry Decoys out to the field? SO My Elite II vest has the pouch in the back where I carry 2 deke's and a small limb saw to fab a blind.

MoonKrycket: Do you routinely hold the Box from bouncing off your leg? I do a lot of hill backwood climbing. I am not walking out to a field.

I like the Vest that BIGG posted but looks like limited space for a dekes

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Dmax - I assume you meant "bow" instead of "box". It does not bounce off my leg because it's to the side of my leg.

What brand of 4 wheeler is that?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Yes, sorry for typo.

It is a 2007 Suzuki KingQuad
Old 05-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

If weight is an issue than you may want to look in to a rangefinder that is "over the top", small and light is never synonymous with cost effective unless you are buying beer.
My last hunting trip (successful) I carried my shotgun, blind, 2 chairs, dinner for two, decoys, all my turkey hunting gear, 2 blankets, 3 Barbie's and my 4 year old daughter, all on my back. Can't say for sure my if my rangefinder made much of a difference at 7.4 ounces.
The Bushnell 450 is very light, weatherproof and works fine through mesh. A little more bulky than a high end unit, and the optics suck if you compare it to binoculars (that would be a monocular) but it will tell you how far your target is from 8 to 800 yards, every time.
If I were to spend a bit more I would choose a rangefinder that would allow you to scan, the inexpensive Bushnell will not do that.
I only hunt from a blind if I have a kid or two, so quick access to my rangefinder is important to me, well worth the extra weight and bulk. Good luck in your choice!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM

I started using a Nikon 440 last year and love it. Simple and it has always worked great. It is not the super small kind, but fits nicely in the cup of one hand for easy use. I also just carry my CB back in my hand. I have a full pack on my back and a sling just makes to much going on back there.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you would be well pleased with one of the Nikons.

Quick Reply: Range Finders and How do you carry your X Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.