Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accurizing a Mini-14? >

Accurizing a Mini-14?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accurizing a Mini-14?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Accurizing a Mini-14?

HighDesertWolf: If you are getting those kind of groups with the factory barrel, then you might have a one-in-a-million rifle. Most Mini-14's can group no better than about the size of an apple. They also tend to walk as they heat up. I have know folks who put really expensive match grade barrels on these rifles and they improved to maybe 1.2 MOA. A few of them will run with an accurized AR-15, but the odds aren't good. The weapon does not appear to have been designed with precision shooting in mind . . . . In fact, the average Colt H-Bar or RRA with a stock barrel will shoot a little better than the average Mini-14 with a match barrel.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

A gun smith friend of mine where I used to live did the mini 14's. I know he put comps on them but he didn't change the triggers or anything drastic. All of the ones he did would shoot well under one inch @ 100 yards. If I talk to him again I will see what else he did to them. I know they can be made to shoot very well.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:06 PM

Accurizing a Mini-14. Why??????????????
Old 04-10-2005, 01:04 AM

It's like pouring money into a Corvair to race it - don't bother. If you want an accurate semi-auto .223 buy one.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

Accurizing a Mini-14. Why??????????????

why not?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

It's like pouring money into a Corvair to race it - don't bother. If you want an accurate semi-auto .223 buy one.

what??? you obviously dont know jack about drag racing....... In high school a friend of mine had a 60's corvair that would run circles around everyone else's hotrods. The corvair had a nice light weight chassis that in combination with a strong motor like a 383 stroker or built 355 they will run fast. My buddies corvair had a built 396 in it and it would run low 13's in the 1/4 mile.

I will be first to admit the mini-14 has a reputation for poor accuracy, in my case I bought one and wasnt real pleased with the accuracy so I did some tweaking to accurize it. besides what does it matter to any of you? Its my money i'll spend it how I want to.........

As soon as i can I will post a pic of how my mini-14 shoots now with the mods ( cant find a target), But heres a pic of how it did shoot before I did any mods to it.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:25 AM

why not?
I just think that if you're going to spend that kind of money, i.e. to buy the rifle, and then modify it so you can have an accurate .223, your money could be better spent buying an accurate .223 to begin with. I also think someone earlier made the comment that "if you polish a turd, you will have a polished turd, but it's still a turd.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

why not?
I just think that if you're going to spend that kind of money, i.e. to buy the rifle, and then modify it so you can have an accurate .223, your money could be better spent buying an accurate .223 to begin with. I also think someone earlier made the comment that "if you polish a turd, you will have a polished turd, but it's still a turd.

except the mini-14 isnt really a turd lol, the design has potential just ruger didnt carry it far enough to work out all the kinks. I have 2 AR's and yes outta the box they stomp a mini-14 accuracy wise just the AR's are ugly just dont have that tradtional look like a mini-14 does. If you want real accuracy get a bolt action.................