Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need advice on accurizing a 700 >

need advice on accurizing a 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need advice on accurizing a 700

Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default need advice on accurizing a 700

I have a Rem 700 .270 BDL SS

I want to turn it into the most accuriate hunting rifle I can afford. I'm guessing all it needs is a match grade sporter barrel and a new bedded stock. Help point me in the right direction.

I was looking at these stocks
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/golden_sporter.html

I like laminated wood.

I've also had a few H-S Precision stocks and have no complaint about them.

What do you suggest for a new stock & barrel ?
What else do I need to look into ?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:13 AM

Default RE: need advice on accurizing a 700

-
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Providing you want to keep it a 270 then a McmIllan or High tech stock would be nice as a replacement and keep weight manageable. There is no guarantee that if the gun is accurized and the barrel replaced that it will shoot any better then what you have now.. I have the same gun in 7mmRem and it is probably one of the most accurate Remingtons or any other brand rifle I have ever owned. The stock is nasty as far as transmitting noise. I am not sure if I replace the stock with a quality stock like mentioned above that the gun might not be worse off. Accurate innovation stocks are nice looking stocks as well I just have no experience with them.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 AM
bigcountry

I suggest giving answerrifles a call. They have a deal where they will accurize your gun. I think it involves recrowning, lapping lugs, squaring the action, trigger work, and probably would install and bed a new stock. I have seen them come back real MOA shooters. I think its for 350 dollars. Which a new McMillian or H-S will run over 300, and a match barrel alone is more than 250, and to put it all together probably over 300. So think about all that first.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I sent my Rem 700 in 300 RUM to Answer Products http://www.answerrifles.com/ a few years ago. They did everything BIGCOUNTRY has said as well as freezing the barrel and muzzelbrake with pad. The thing cloverleafs at 100. I would say check out thier site.
They have done 1000's of rifles and have it down to a science.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of groups are you getting now? I have never had a Remington 700 that needed much work to shoot under one inch at 100 yards. If the pressure point at the end of the forend fits they usually shoot very well.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

James, your one of the only ones that have such great luck. You should be big green spokesperson. James you seem like a very honest person, so I am not saying your telling a big one. I am saying you are extremely lucky.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of good information above... and here's my take on it...

first of all... you have to be able to perform as well as what the gun is capable of.

I own 3 700 remingtons and i am building my 4th at the moment. 2 of the 3 i currently have will shoot sub MOA as is, no modifications... one is a 70's vintage BDL varmit in 222 rem... the second is a 1990 classic in 25-06 rem. i have not touched em, not even trigger adjustment... they impress the heck out of me.

the third though was a PITA... 3 inches @ 100 was all i could get handloading, very inconsistant and all over the place.. not even a consistant horizontal or vertical stringing... this was a 700 mountain rifle in 25-06. here is what i did.. i have done all of the work except replacing the barrel myself.

First, have the trigger cleaned up with a lighter pull and elimination of any creep... you can get them adjusted to break like glass at 2 1/2 lbs.

Second, most every factory rem 700 has a pressure point on the barrel in the stock, some guns respond well to this some don't. Mine didn't. by free floating it improved things but ultimately it was my barrel that was to blame. By adjusting preload on the barrel you can also effect harmonics and the way things shoot... experiment with pressures.

Third, if there is any movement what so ever between stock and action replace stock or bed the action. bedding also helps evenly distribute pressure on the action.

Fourth, locking lugs... most don't make very good contact on one let alone on both... lapping them can be of benefit. It was on my Mtn Rifle. i had 1/4 of the left lug contacting only. but as you do this you are also increaseing headspace.

Fifth. with the bolt removed... look at the muzzle carefully. i've found this on numerous 700s i've looked at. the bore is not concentric with the muzzle and crown. we all know if the crown is not true or is damaged accuracy is compromised. If the bore is not concentric with the barrel it is in essence doing the same thing. as well as generating uneven stresses and harmonics within the barrel due to uneven cross section.

Sixth. constrictions in the bore or rough rifling... fire lap the bore... some say it doesn't work some swear by it. I've done it to a handgun and 2 rifles... in every instance i have AT LEAST cut the grouping in half. no bull, not making up stories, just what has happened from me from personal experience.

I did not lap my Mtn Rifle... i rebarrelled and trued the action... Shilen #2 contour chambered in 280 rem now. i can shoot sub MOA if i do my part... accuracy in the gun now is mre dependent upon which load and bullet i shoot... some it likes some it doesn;t. small screaming varmit rounds will group 1/2 inch @ 100 or less... generally a big ragged hole... my hunting rounds, 175 partitions, are more in the 3/4 inch range... i can't expect much more than that...

from my experience with the 700 and the work i've done to them i've found factory set triggers, bore conditions and locking lugs to be the major improvement areas.. bedding sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't... it is a case by case situation on whether to do it or not.

Jim
Old 01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will take luck any day. I have had just as good of luck with Savage rifles.Weather Mark five is the worst rifle I have had to date. It would not group with anything and had a two man trigger. I had a 788 that would not group until I added a little to the pressure point. I know I have had 20 model 700's from 222 to 300 win Mag. I have had six or more 700 classics as well. There must be a reason that Remington leads the poll on this site.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:43 PM
bigcountry

Now see James that goes to show ya. I had a mark 5 that was a tack driver. But it had better been, since it cost two rifle worth. You just never can tell.

Quick Reply: need advice on accurizing a 700

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.