Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about accurizing my Ruger. >

Question about accurizing my Ruger.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about accurizing my Ruger.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about accurizing my Ruger.

I asked the owner of one of the local gun shops about getting some triger work and bedding my Ruger today. He told me to put in an aftermarket trigger that I figured. What I haven't heard before was when I asked him about bedding the action for me, he said that Ruger's had three lugs in the action and didn't need to be bedded. He told me to tighten them down one at a time a half pound at a time until I had each tightened to four pounds of torque each. He said that over tightening them will bind the action and cause a lack of accuracy. I am no gunsmith or guru just tryingn to learn a few tricks of the trade, so what do you guys thing of this. The rifle has a synthetic stock.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about accurizing my Ruger.

First is this a tang safety or a 3-position???

With my tang safety, I did a trigger job before it came home...Pillar bedded after about 15 years...After 20 years or so even put a 24 inch Shilen barrel in her...

There are 3 screws that you remove to take off the barrel...
The front screw, tighten first and it should be tighten good and snug with a larger screwdriver...The second (in front of trigger guard) you tighten less than the front and the one in the rear of the trigger guard less than the second...It sounds strange, but I have taken mine down several times for a good cleaning and have never torqued a gun screw...

I grew up as a mechanic and just tighten until I know it's right...

What I would question about tightening all 3 screws the same...Why is the front screw so much bigger than the rear two??
Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a 3 position saftey.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Three Lugs in the action????????????????????????????????????????
Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Three Lugs in the action????????????????????????????????????????
.......I think I see the BS flag coming out.......
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

.......I think I see the BS flag coming out.......

I would take the gun to someone else to make that assesment. It has 1 angled recoil lug which can be a PITA to glassbedunless you know what your doing..
Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I would take the gun to someone else to make that assesment. It has 1 angled recoil lug which can be a PITA to glassbedunless you know what your doing..
That's what he said. He could do it it was just a hassle and that it wasn't really needed.

He told me that a trigger job and floating the barrel is all that I needed to make a sub-moa rifle out of it. The shooter may be another story. lol
Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

With my tang safety, I did a trigger job before it came home...Pillar bedded after about 15 years...After 20 years or so even put a 24 inch Shilen barrel in her...
NC when you bedded it what kind of difference did you see?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

In two words, not much...

Now, mine has a wooden stock...I also free floated the barrel...I got caught in a rain storm one day and the gun got soaked...I pulled the barrel and letthe stockdry for a few days and the point of impact had changed...That's when I free floated the barrel and had it pillar bedded...

I wanted to try different factory ammo...That was the reason that I had a new barrel put in it a few years later, but the gun was about 20 years old at the time and I do shoot much more than most guys...The dang gun just loves CoreLokts, it liked them before the work and still likes them...After killing several deer with about 10 different factory ammo bullets I found that the CoreLokts work as well as any so that's what I stuck with...

With your's being a synthetic stock, this shouldn't be a problem...

My brother also has a .270, tang safety, wood stock as well...I do his work on his guns...I gave it a good cleaning and adjusted the trigger myself, it shoots good with the Federal Premium 130gr Sierra GameKings...I never free floated his...

I like a trigger about 2 1/2 - 3 pounds...I have heard the 3 position safety models can be adjusted by a good gunsmith and have had others say, just drop in a Timney and be done with it...

I'm not sure of the quality of the Ruger synthetic stocks...You might consider putting a McMillan or other higher quality stock with the aluminum bedding in it....

How well does the gun shoot now?? Have you tried several different brands of ammo???

We all want guns that will put every bullet into a dime at 100 yards, but frankly a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 with the right factory ammo will kill deer all day long...You can spend a bunch of money trying to shave off a half of an inch from a group...I know, I sure did...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am enjoying my new hobby of gaining better accuracy. I shoot about 2" groups right now with Hornady 140 spbt. Last month I got some new reloading equipment but I also moved into a new house and haven't gotten around to building a bench to set up on. I am going to shoot the 130 gmekings if my rifle likes them.

I am going to drop in a rifle basix trigger and set it at 3#.

The sythetic stock seems pretty good and fits great so I am going to try and keep it.

I know 2'' will hunt and kill deer I have killed a few with this rifle I just want the best I can get out of it.

Quick Reply: Question about accurizing my Ruger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.