Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My New 30-378 >

My New 30-378

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My New 30-378

Old 03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default My New 30-378

I asked a lot of people about this gun. Everyone said the recoil would kill me. I went against recomendations and bought it anyway. The recoil is nothing. I shot a 270 the same day and it kicked more than the 30-378. If you haven't looked at this gun, you should consider it. Yes ammo is expensive but I plan on reloading. Shots number 8,9,10 was at 200 yards with in 1.5". I mounted a VXIII boone and crockett 4.5-14. This gun is dead accurate with factory ammo right out of the box. I had a brake on it and shot it without. Without it kicks, unbearable, heck no. Great Gun!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My New 30-378

Good luck with your new rifle. Your new Weatherby will give you years of enjoyment.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 AM

Haugenna,

No, no, no, no! You can't go around doing that!

ALL MAGNUMS and big bores, especially ones with case capacity like that one, are mean, nasty things that neither man nor beast can handle, accuracy is impossible, comfort in shooting is not allowed, all your shots will go into the guts or not hit at all, all your game will get away wounded or untouched. Come back to your senses. Admit the error of your ways and trade it in on a nice, safe, humble, more socially accepted .270 or some other "standard" cartridge; you'll give solice to those who have already slid into being fashionably "recoil sensitive."
[Very popular in the USA] [:'(][:'(]

==================

Seriously,
It sounds like a great rifle has met up with a competent rifleman.
Be careful to protect your hearing (muzzlebrake).
Enjoy your reloading (kinda eliminates the wearisome "Walmart ammo" argument).
Ignore the naysayers that will likely appear along the way and go get'em tiger.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 AM
bigcountry

Well, I am all about performance. But why did you pick the 30-378? I didn't pick it when shopping for a 30 cal burner cause of reloading components cost, and freebore. And all I wanted was a step up from the 300win without buying a weatherby cartridge. So I picked the 300RUM.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your happy with it and it shoots to your liking what else can one say. Good Luck with it.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

And all I wanted was a step up from the 300win without buying a weatherby cartridge. So I picked the 300RUM.
Very similar reasoning to my own for choosing the 300RUM.I wanted more velocity than the 300win mag but with reasonable brass costs,that would still work well in a 700 action.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 PM

Haug, welcome too the "super 30 club". I have been primarily hunting with my Lazzeroni Warbird for 6 years now and absolutely LOVE it. I have NEVER killed anything to dead with it either.

One word of caution that I can't emphasize enough, BUY AND WEAR QUALITY EAR PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES WITH THAT GUN!!! I bought a Game Ear II for each ear and after a trip or two out I now use them ALL the time. I likewise use muffs over plugs when at the range. The noise calibers like these make with brakes is horrendous and immediate hearing damage WILL result with only 1 or 2 shots. The brakes are great however, I can watch the shot by having the brake. Without it the gun stands up 2ft and would be impossible to fire from the window of a shooting house/deer blind. (Remember that as I have seen more than one scope scratched seriously when fired as such.)

Another helpful word is be very careful not to overheat the barrel. It is REALLY easy to overheat hyper-velocity guns. Two shots from a cold barrel is about all I would recommend safely firing within 5 minutes. I typically only shoot 1ce every five minutes, pull the bolt out and let the barrel FULLY cool between shots. Keeping the barrel cooled will literally double the life of that barrel. A cold barrel is very hard to wear, a warm and especially hot one is on borrowed time.

If you are gonna handload the beast then I suggest going on www.lazzeroniarms.com and ordering some of his 150grn Lazerhead bullets. They are "tweaked" Barnes Triple Shocks that really shine in rounds of such velocity and will actually help tame barrel pressures (plus they leave hardly any copper fouling compared to un-coated bullets).

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress,
RA
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM

Red, I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum. Do you think that 2 shots from a cold barrel should apply to this caliber as well?

Californiadoctor
Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM

Doc I also have a 300Wby (grand ol dame of "Super 30s" if you ask me) and I likewise used the "5 minute rule" with it as well. I dont suppose its technically a 5 minute rule its more like this.

When I shoot/sight in I typically carry more than one rifle. Not only do I shoot more with multiple guns, I get equal practice but fire fewer rounds (generating less wear and heat) from each gun. 20 shots worth of practice is 20 shots, be them all from one gun or 10 in one and 10 in another etc... I keep my guns "field clean" with a boresnake for each gun. I NEVER run any type of cleaning rod, snake or solvents through a warm/hot barrel. I typically setup at whatever yardage and then fire a shot. (Two is ok but I prefer only 1 as it simply cant hurt to keep a barrel cool can it?) I then pick another target (I like to use the sight in targets with the smaller targets in each corner of the main target) and fire another gun at it. That way I can remove the bolt from each gun and set it aside (if any wind is present I aim it into it and if its really hot I put the black steel in shade) and fire another gun. I then go down range and cover the holes with masking tape and repeat the process. So sometimes I might fire one gun every 5 minutes or it might be as long as 10-15 minutes between rounds.

The faster the round the more heat it generates but I use the same protocol for ALL my big game calibers. Clean, cool barrels just last longer!
RA
Old 03-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I fire a three shot group and then let the barrel cool fully with all of my hunting rifles including the 300ultramags,and my barrel life is very good.Poor cleaning techniques can be just as determental to barrel life as heating up the barrel.Use a good one piece rod,a bore guide,and never use any type of steel brushes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.