HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My New 30-378
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: My New 30-378

Haug, welcome too the "super 30 club". I have been primarily hunting with my Lazzeroni Warbird for 6 years now and absolutely LOVE it. I have NEVER killed anything to dead with it either.

One word of caution that I can't emphasize enough, BUY AND WEAR QUALITY EAR PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES WITH THAT GUN!!! I bought a Game Ear II for each ear and after a trip or two out I now use them ALL the time. I likewise use muffs over plugs when at the range. The noise calibers like these make with brakes is horrendous and immediate hearing damage WILL result with only 1 or 2 shots. The brakes are great however, I can watch the shot by having the brake. Without it the gun stands up 2ft and would be impossible to fire from the window of a shooting house/deer blind. (Remember that as I have seen more than one scope scratched seriously when fired as such.)

Another helpful word is be very careful not to overheat the barrel. It is REALLY easy to overheat hyper-velocity guns. Two shots from a cold barrel is about all I would recommend safely firing within 5 minutes. I typically only shoot 1ce every five minutes, pull the bolt out and let the barrel FULLY cool between shots. Keeping the barrel cooled will literally double the life of that barrel. A cold barrel is very hard to wear, a warm and especially hot one is on borrowed time.

If you are gonna handload the beast then I suggest going on www.lazzeroniarms.com and ordering some of his 150grn Lazerhead bullets. They are "tweaked" Barnes Triple Shocks that really shine in rounds of such velocity and will actually help tame barrel pressures (plus they leave hardly any copper fouling compared to un-coated bullets).

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress,
RA