Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as? >

Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as?

Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as?

Are these little rifles as good and accurate as most say they are or did the 2 I've owned just turn out to be non-shooters, I went thru 2 rifles and 4 scopes and about 100+ rounds of ammo and still could'nt get either one to shoot a 3" group at a 100 yards, I finally traded and ended up with a Savage, within 9 shots my last three could be covered by a 3/8" circle. I would still like to have a Handi Rifle but I want it to shoot, if it won't group I don't want it.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as?

Don't know what to tell you. I had two of them and they both shot very well, although the 243 Win was picky about loads.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Are these NE Handi Rifles as good as?

The NE Handi Rifle is great if you keep it limited to what it's designed to do. I bought the slug gun version for $120 and find that when loaded with Win super X sabot slugs it can print 4" groups at 100 yards using a ghost ring sight. Slugs aren't know for accuracy but it's still perfect for what I need as I hunt in Illinois brush country where no shot is going to be longer than 100 yards. I've also found that it's accuracy doesn't differ too much if I shoot offhanded, I still get 6" groups at 100 yards.
I also bought the .50cal muzzleloader barrel for $75, the 12 ga 3 1/2 inch extra full choke turkey barrel for $55, and a 20 ga modified choke for small game for $35. So for $285 I got 4 different guns for 4 different uses. It's not the perfect gun but it does the job. With it I've taken 6 deer, 4 wild turkey's, loads of pheasant, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits and a lone coyote who got too close.
The 3" accuracy you found is good enough for almost all hunting. Only Varmint hunting and extreme long range hunting needs accuracy under a 1/2". You could probably ge that 1/2" accuracy with the .223 or .243 bull barrel as it is designed for accuracy.