Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD? >

HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD?

Old 01-24-2004, 10:28 AM

Default HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD?

I JUST COULDNT RESIST BUYING THIS NEAT ,SINGLE SHOT IN 270 FOR 155.00...LOOKS LIKE NEW....IT WILL NOT EJECT A ONCE FIRED CASE(FROM A BOLT ACTION GUN)....MAYBE IT WILL EJECT ONES FIRED FROM ITSELF...I PUT THESE ALREADY FIRED CASES IN TO TEST THE TRIGGER PULL WHICH SEEMS HEAVY AND THEY WONT EJECT..EVIDENTLY THE BRASS IS STRETCHED TO A LARGER SIZE THAN THE CHAMBER DEMENSIONS OF THE HANDI -RIFLE ,THESE SPENT CASES ARE ALSO SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT TO CHAMBER...IF I CAN WORK OUT THE BUGS ,I THINK I AM GOING TO LOVE THIS RIFLE...HAVENT SHOT IT YET ..IT IS TOO DAMN COLD OUT!...SUGGESTIONS..COMMENTS...ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO GO ON THE WEB FOR INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO DO A TRIGGER JOB ON THESE RIFLES?...THANKS
Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD?

You can send the rifle back to H&R and they will adjust the trigger down to 3.5lbs for free but you'll have to pay for shipping and insurance. If you feel like you want to tackle the job yourself then here's some instructions http://www.perkloafm.com/projects2.html , just scroll down to handi-rifle trigger work.
H&R also has a website where you can get lot's of imformation on their guns at www.hr1871.com just go to the talk forums there.

I had a 270 Ultra comp but i only kept it for several weeks because i couldn't tolerate the noise and muzzle blast from the compensated barrel. I bought it for my son and he didn't like it so i sold it and bought him the Ultra comp in 25.06 which was ok for the money but i've since sold that one too and bought him a bolt action. I did send the 25.06 back and had a trigger job done on it and they did a good job with it. I've heard some people say they shoot great and some say they have had nothing but problems with them so i guess it's a toss up when you buy one. The 25.06 i had shot with acceptable accuracy after some tinkering like a trigger job, floating the forearm, bedding the scope rail and working up a handload for it but don't expect to get bolt action accuracy from it. They shoot ok for what they are plus you can get other caliber barrels at a price that won't empty your wallet. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: HANDI-RFLE...270...ANY GOOD?

I don't have a 270 in this gun but I have a 280 with the 26 inch barrel. I have had nothing but success with mine. The brass will stick if they get even a hair to long. Also be sure that there is NO OIL IN THE CHAMBER. When you clean it and store it, set it with the muzzle down. If you don't any oil or metal protection you use in the bore will run down in the chamber and then it has no place to go. Oil in the chamber will cause the brass to sick every time. These little rifles are good shooters and on the H&R talk site you will find tons of info concerning every aspect of H&H and NEF rifles.