Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved! >

NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:33 PM

Default NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved!

I saw this issue being discussed on another thread so I thought I should share my experience with you.

I own a NEF Handi Rifle in .243. The first several weeks I owned mine I was baffled by the apparent lack of consistency in grouping. It would be dead on at one point and then entirely off later.

I did some online research and found that these guns have been known to have some problems with the scope bases not fitting tightly. People had the same problem that I did when the scope base was found to not be completely tight.

I took the gun back to the shop and had the base secured with loc-tite. END of problem. Simple as that.

I was about ready to give up on it entirely at one point. I love the gun now and I am about ready to purchase some additional barrels for it (probably .270 and .223)

Get this issue checked out if you have one. They're amazing little guns.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved!

I have had 2 of them, A .204 and a .22-250, I went thru several scopes and checked the bases on both and still could'nt get them to shoot a 3" group at 100 yards. I don't know what the problem was but I'm about the only one that I have heard of having a problem with getting them to group. I would still really like to have one for a truck gun but I want it to group.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen one that wouldn't shoot a couple of years ago. Was doing the yearly deer rifle sightin clinic and a man cam to my bench with one of these in 30-06. First shot was 6" low, next shot was 3" high. I told him we needed a decent group in order to make an adjustment. Next shot went low again. Took another shot and it went off to the side. I checked his scope mounts, and everything seemed tight. I asked him if the shots felt right when he pulled the trigger, he replies yes, and asked me to try it. I shot it 3 times and the shots were all over the place again. I had to tell him that the rifle needs to be looked at by a smith or sent back to the factory because it would not shoot.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 AM

the mount CAN seem tight and mine did too. The only time I was able to actually "see" the movement was when the gunsmith applied a boresighter and then demonstrated the amount of crosshair movement that could be observed in the sight plane when the scope was pushed or pulled on a bit. It wasn't moving much but certainly enough to throw shots off the mark.

I went through probably 50-60 rounds of ammunition attempting to shoot the gun in until the problem was taken care of.

Sam
Old 03-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Man! Im having the same problem. At first thought it was the scope, never thought of what you guys are saying. I also thought about free floating the barrel with a rubber o ring.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Well, I might try that. I mean on some rounds of shooting 20+ shoots I'll easily pull of 1inch and sub MOA groups with mine .243 in Ultra hunter. Every now and then though I'll get 2 shots, right on top of each other, I mean easily .25 apart or less, and then the next shot perhaps 3/4-1 inch to the left. Could you explain the procedure, if possible I'd like to try and get the scope mount fixed myself.

Overall my rifle has been outstandingly accurate, I've been more then impressed with it's shooting especially when I payed like 250$ for it.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bases on mine were as tight as I could get them with a screw driver, I don't like the way the front of the base hangs out over the barrel and above it, I still want one and maybe someday I will find a shooter, I know the most of them are.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:22 PM

these guns are know for incosenstence,,my gun dealer knows how i am about my guns and he know how i shot,,and he told me he wouldnt recomend me buying one because he knows how a pefectionest i am when it come to my guns etc.he said you will find one that will shot every now and then..they are only recomened that they will shot 2 inch i think from factory.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:15 AM

I've read plenty of posts online from guys have NEFs that shoot WELL under 2" groups. I've only gotten my .243 partially shot in with its' new scope and it's already under 2" groups. I need to put about 5-10 more rounds through it and then I should have it down to 1" or so.

Sam
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 PM

I get under 2" at 100yds with my handirifle, a 2.5x shotgun scope and 300gr cast gas checks at 1400fps in .45-70, have done nothing to it except clean, load and shoot.
A very nice one for less than $250, including scope and Weaver rail.
Don

Quick Reply: NEF HANDI RIFLES -- Grouping Problem Solved!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.